Hyperloop pod breaks own high-speed record
Tests of the futuristic hyperloop transport system have managed to propel one of its pods at 355km/h (220mph).
The tests establish a new record for the technology only days after a separate prototype hit 324km/h.
Hyperloop puts pods in an airless tunnel and seeks to accelerate them to very high speeds to cut travel times for freight and passengers.
Backers of the hyperloop idea claim that eventually the pods will travel at speeds of about 1,000 km/h.
Speed racer The idea for the version of the hyperloop transportation system currently being developed was floated in 2013 by Tesla boss Elon... read more
- 13:12 Police Academy director Hugh Wilson dies
- 13:12 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:12 PICTURES: Busy Mansfield road closed after car hits pedestrian
- 13:11 ‘New California’ declares independence to become 51st US state
- 13:09 Sir Desmond Swayne 'embarrassed' by Commons snooze
- 13:09 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:09 Quiz: How much of a Stormzy fan are you?
- 13:09 NHS 'haemorrhaging' nurses, experts say
- 13:09 Liverpool's Marko Grujic to join Cardiff on loan as Middlesbrough...
- 13:09 Floyd Mayweather rides a horse on the beach as boxing legend...
- 13:09 Businessman throws a lifeline to worried Carillion staff
- 13:09 Farewell to Ronaldinho, the first YouTube footballer: From...
- 13:08 Quiz: Could you pass Donald Trump's cognitive test?
- 13:08 Freedom of Hull given to city-born legendary actor Sir Tom Courtenay
- 13:07 More gales, rain and snow heading our way with Storm Georgina
- 13:07 Councillor to hear from constituents
- 13:07 Leeds United aim to rediscover their goal touch
- 13:07 Syrian refugees arrive in Leeds to be resettled across Yorkshire
- 13:07 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:06 Alexis Sanchez Man Utd deal: Why Man City cooled interest in...
- 13:06 VIDEO: Watch gritters battling to keep North Yorkshire's highest...
- 13:06 Sharon inspires people to get out of debt
- 13:05 Man in hospital with serious injuries after being attacked in Runcorn
- 13:04 ‘Cynical’ decision by Derbyshire County Council to cut centre’s...
- 13:04 Former Facebook executive says the company is a 'living, breathing...
- 13:04 Businessman throws a lifeline to worried Carillion staff
- 13:04 East Midlands businesses invited to comment on Heathrow Airport...
- 13:04 Fears of an attack with weapons of mass destruction tops list of...
- 13:04 Road closed after man is seriously injured in collision with car
- 13:04 NHS 'haemorrhaging' nurses, experts say