Hyperloop pod breaks own high-speed record
Tests of the futuristic hyperloop transport system have managed to propel one of its pods at 355km/h (220mph).
The tests establish a new record for the technology only days after a separate prototype hit 324km/h.
Hyperloop puts pods in an airless tunnel and seeks to accelerate them to very high speeds to cut travel times for freight and passengers.
Backers of the hyperloop idea claim that eventually the pods will travel at speeds of about 1,000 km/h.
Speed racer The idea for the version of the hyperloop transportation system currently being developed was floated in 2013 by Tesla boss Elon... read more
- 08:41 Health chiefs raise awareness of regular HIV testing
- 08:39 'Arrogant' member of Ulverston social club fined for late-night pub...
- 08:39 Christmas events across Cumbria - take a look at our definitive guide
- 08:35 50 years of hits from a TV station that really caught fire
- 08:34 Youngsters decorating baubles for community
- 08:34 Ryan Seacrest denies sexual misconduct allegations
- 08:31 Norham stages successful show
- 08:31 Rotary early birds to light up Berwick for Christmas-time
- 08:31 Northumbria Police praised for domestic abuse work
- 08:27 Loony Joons: Kung fu keeper can't take all the blame for the battle...
- 08:25 England bowlers toil on final warm-up day ahead of first Ashes Test...
- 08:24 Kezia Dugdale to appear on ‘I’m a Celebrity’
- 08:24 'Shame the low life scum': Watch Police car smashed with hammer
- 08:23 Manchester City team news for Leicester game will be a big pointer...
- 08:23 How Manchester United should line up vs Newcastle
- 08:20 Charity banks on generous help from Pat and her colleagues
- 08:11 Kirklees council leader confirms he will step down in 2019
- 08:10 Christmas events across Cumbria - take a look at our definitive guide
- 08:10 School funding campaigners hit streets in Cumbria today
- 08:09 EU and me: writers reminisce on their relationship with Europe
- 08:09 WEEKEND WEB: Free Press letters
- 08:08 Kim Kardashian’s surrogate didn’t know she was carrying Kimye’s baby
- 08:08 Wallsend charity planning its Christmas events
- 08:07 Cycling charity wants visitors to join the ride at the Piece Hall
- 08:07 Watch out drivers - mobile speed cameras can catch you out for more...
- 08:07 The £1m club: Homes you could get for a million in the North East...
- 08:07 Durham businesswoman hoping to raise £50,000 to take on B&M over...
- 08:05 Kenilworth-based screenwriter backs Observer campaign
- 08:05 Turnaround in fortunes wins praise for Carlisle primary school
- 08:04 10 ways to cope with depression fatigue