Hurricane Matthew is strongest storm in Atlantic in nine years
The most powerful hurricane in the Atlantic for nine years is moving towards Jamaica with wind speeds of up to 260km/h (160mph), strong enough to wreck houses.
Weather forecasters have upgraded Hurricane Matthew to category five, the highest on the scale of intensity.
Jamaican PM Andrew Holness has called an urgent meeting of parliament to discuss hurricane preparedness.
The storm is expected to make landfall by Monday.
Jamaica's palm-lined southern coast is expected to be hit first. The capital, Kingston, is located in the area, as is the country's only oil refinery.
Officials have warned... read more
- 17:11 Britain will champion a free market that works for all, claims PM
- 17:11 Spaniels stolen from farm and dog handler’s van
- 17:11 Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks to close 40 more branches this year:...
- 17:10 Paul Ince makes shock Manchester United and Liverpool transfer claim
- 17:10 Caring schoolgirls set up charity fundraising group
- 17:09 Inmate at Lincoln prison dies in custody
- 17:09 Cumbria crime chief backs Big Sleep event
- 17:09 Notts GCSE results up on last year
- 17:09 Sturgeon: Scottish Government makes sure taxpayers get better deal...
- 17:08 Mental health is a pressing issue for all
- 17:08 Watford closing in on deal for Mauro Zarate as Walter Mazzarri...
- 17:07 Drivers warned of A1 weekend closures as footbridge is replaced
- 17:07 Tyne Tunnel single lane closures to be extended
- 17:06 Watch Derby Olympic swimmer Adam Peaty star in Quorn national TV...
- 17:06 Know these men? Police investigate 'racist remarks' at Derby County...
- 17:05 Heartbroken mum, 21, killed herself after struggling to cope with...
- 17:05 UPDATED: Power lines collapse closing stretch of A157 between...
- 17:05 Free Link ATMs could start charging for withdrawals
- 17:04 9 herbal gins you need to try
- 17:04 Can you tell the difference between high end and high street make-up?
- 17:04 Gambia unrest thwarts university research and conservation trip
- 17:04 Lads’ coach trip to Marbs hits the box
- 17:03 Prem rivals want Chelsea star: Four-year deal ready, player...
- 17:03 Mark Allen admits he needs to lose weight and stop eating takeaways
- 17:03 Deal off: Star man rejects move away from Middlesbrough: He wants...
- 17:02 Grimsby Town TRANSFER NEWS: Mariners SIGN Chris Clements from...
- 17:02 WATCH: From twerking builders to Scottish football fans: 10 most...
- 17:01 Dim thief whose attempts to steal a venetian blind from Northampton...
- 17:01 'I thought we were going to drop out of the sky': Passenger films...
- 17:01 Do you know this Corby man? He’s wanted on prison recall