Hurricane Matthew is strongest storm in Atlantic in nine years
The most powerful hurricane in the Atlantic for nine years is moving towards Jamaica with wind speeds of up to 260km/h (160mph), strong enough to wreck houses.
Weather forecasters have upgraded Hurricane Matthew to category five, the highest on the scale of intensity.
Jamaican PM Andrew Holness has called an urgent meeting of parliament to discuss hurricane preparedness.
The storm is expected to make landfall by Monday.
Jamaica's palm-lined southern coast is expected to be hit first. The capital, Kingston, is located in the area, as is the country's only oil refinery.
Officials have warned... read more
- 06:27 Owner of Stanleys bar in Leek has licence revoked after serving...
- 06:27 11 luxurious places to stay for large groups in and near Birmingham
- 06:27 Birmingham City transfer news and rumours digest: Henry Onyekuru...
- 06:27 Five friends in court after taxi worker's car repeatedly rammed in...
- 06:27 Aston Villa transfer news and rumours digest: Tony Xia on former...
- 06:27 Our Heroes: Staffordshire Police PCSO praised for rescuing dementia...
- 06:27 Passengers: 'Bring a bus service back to Middleport NOW!'
- 06:27 Baby's family say his legacy will live on as they mark what would...
- 06:27 VIDEO: The incredible footage of a little dog dicing with death on...
- 06:27 Shelton sex offender, 23, sent Valentine's Day letter to girl -...
- 06:27 TRENTHAM HIGH UPDATE: School reveals 2 youths in hooded tops 'posed...
- 06:23 How the banks ignored the lessons of the crash
- 06:23 Australia welcomes charges against alleged Bali bombing mastermind
- 06:22 BREAKING: Mountainous landslide buries village in China sparking...
- 06:21 Florian Lejeune to join Newcastle imminently: Eibar shopping for...
- 06:18 Will Manchester United sign Marquinhos from PSG?
- 06:15 Will a pub ever be opened in village?
- 06:15 Sign up to receive fresh, local seafood
- 06:15 Grand flypast over airmen’s graves to mark anniversary
- 06:15 Man sentenced for attempting to import child sex doll into Cheshire
- 06:14 Washington man’s vital role in making life easier for cancer patients
- 06:14 Five ways to make your holiday money go further this summer
- 06:14 Six sneaky fraudsters' tricks that are a sign you should put the...
- 06:14 Recipe of the week: Black bean, chorizo, sweet potato and coconut bowl
- 06:14 Navy chiefs in visit to Sunderland Royal Hospital
- 06:12 Woodland helps rodent revival
- 06:12 Halifax school evacuated as police carry out search of building
- 06:12 Teenager attacked and robbed in Liversedge
- 06:11 Wayne Rooney faces season on Manchester United bench as he...
- 06:09 Beware the conmen trying to part you from your cash