Hurricane Matthew closes schools for thousands of Haiti's children
As Haiti cleans up the destruction wrought by Hurricane Matthew, which killed more than 1,000 people and destroyed thousands of homes, the storm has also disrupted the education of many school children in the country.
School has resumed for students in many parts of Haiti that escaped the worst of Matthew's wrath, but an estimated 100,000 children are missing class after their schools were either reduced to rubble or converted to makeshift shelters.
In battered Les Cayes in southwest Haiti, many whose homes were blown away by Matthew remain holed up in Dumarsais Estime National School,... read more
- 08:14 New education trust chief aims for the top
- 08:14 Plans put forward for 825 homes and commercial development could...
- 08:13 Barack Obama ‘sent digital bombs to Russia as revenge for election...
- 08:13 Premier League squads: Every top flight team ranked by market value
- 08:13 Lions head coach Warren Gatland predicts New Zealand tactics for...
- 08:12 Arsenal focus on completing moves for Alexandre Lacazette and...
- 08:12 Wildfire training exercise is conducted
- 08:09 FARMING MATTERS: All hands on deck for sheep shearing
- 08:09 $esc.html($content.name)
- 08:09 Recognition for Park volunteers
- 08:09 Fun for festival-goers at the Allanton Inn
- 08:09 Landowners consulted on coastal path
- 08:08 Brexit business is booming, say four captains of industry
- 08:07 From the Metro Arena to Manchester - father-of-five's tribute to...
- 08:07 Wrongly jailed Nick Dunn's fight for freedom drags on as Chennai...
- 08:06 Bears’ success rewarded with GB call-ups
- 08:06 "Does this sound like a girl suffering from depression?" Sister's...
- 08:05 WATCH Endangered Bornean orang-utan is born at Twycross Zoo - and...
- 08:04 Young Rugby dancers win awards in prestigious festival
- 08:04 County councillor steps down from cabinet following ‘breach of...
- 08:01 Colombia conflict: ELN rebels free Dutch journalists
- 07:59 Lights, camera, action! Behind the scenes of a new cinema advert...
- 07:55 Spa pool at Huddersfield Leisure Centre may never reopen
- 07:54 Join Skegness school for 40th anniversary June Day Jaunt celebration
- 07:53 Arsenal transfer news LIVE updates: Lacazette latest, Mbappe hope,...
- 07:53 Travellers pitch up on Myton Fields again
- 07:50 Henry Onyekuru gets UK visa after Arsenal agree £6.8m transfer fee...
- 07:49 Former Coventry City defender Blair Adams joins Hartlepool United
- 07:49 Video 5 of 5: Heatwave a boost for Grantham Carnival
- 07:44 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network