Hunt reveals plans to train up to 1,500 more doctors a year
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has announced plans to train up to 1,500 more doctors a year in a bid to tackle the recruitment crisis and make NHS England "self-sufficient" in doctors by the middle of the next decade.
Mr Hunt will reform the current 6,000-a-year cap on students at medical schools, allowing numbers to grow by as much as a quarter and ensuring that all young people with the capability to train as a doctor have the chance to do so.
And he will announce a new requirement for all doctors trained on the NHS to work for the public healthcare service for a minimum of four... read more
- 07:36 10,000 hips will be shipped to China thanks to £5m deal
- 07:36 UPDATE: Police issue photo of South Yorkshire man, missing for a...
- 07:36 Police officer recruitment drive launched in South Yorkshire
- 07:36 British Steel workers show mettle for hospice
- 07:36 Teenager admits GBH and cannabis-possession charges
- 07:36 So many Good Reasons to see Jason Donovan in Scunthorpe!
- 07:36 Scunthorpe's Graham Alexander wins manager of the month for November
- 07:36 Who could replace Scunthorpe captain Stephen Dawson against Rochdale?
- 07:36 Pub chain employees' bank details leaked
- 07:36 Scunthorpe Market traders launch petition in effort to block £5m move
- 07:36 People can’t handle these photos of an anxious miniature schnauzer...
- 07:34 Toy shop arsonist, 15, sent to detention for 30 months
- 07:33 Burton hospital multi-storey plans to be reviewed following High...
- 07:32 Council to replace library fines with food bank donations
- 07:30 McDonald’s moving non-US tax base to UK amid EU row
- 07:29 Premises in and around Stoke-on-Trent that scored a food hygiene...
- 07:29 Revealed: 17 of 63 phone boxes facing the axe in North Staffs have...
- 07:28 Remember loved one at concert
- 07:28 Television and film course is most ambitious yet
- 07:27 Big-hearted Summer Touray-Smith, 7, saved mum's life then launched...
- 07:27 Arctic Corsair set to be given new home under £3.5m 'maritime...
- 07:27 Twins open Dessert Quarters in former Spring Bank pub in Hull
- 07:27 Hull City's Adama Diomande needs support and Robert Snodgrass can...
- 07:27 Hull FC's Jordan Abdull says future still up in air after Hull KR move
- 07:27 Struck-off Hull solicitor Paul Stott will 'fight' to restore his...
- 07:27 Serial rapist Johnathon Hunt 'threatened to publish sex video and...
- 07:27 Christmas wrecked for workers as £14,000 of didlum savings 'taken'...
- 07:26 Council tax to be reduced
- 07:26 Midfielder Didier Ndong on dealing with pressure and turning down...
- 07:26 Investigation launched into death of woman in police custody