Hunt for three million 'ghost' patients
As many as three million "ghost" patients registered with GP practices in England should be removed from doctors' lists, latest figures suggest.
As of March 2016, there were just over 57 million patients on GPs' books.
But official census data suggests the correct figure should be about 54 million.
NHS Digital says some of the discrepancy is because patients who have died or left the country have not been removed from GP lists.
NHS England has already announced new rules to find and remove these "ghost" patients.
List cleansing It is unclear how many patients are... read more
- 01:25 Holy Trinity! Kendall Jenner touches down in Paris dressed like...
- 00:01 Revealed: how US billionaire helped to back Brexit
- 01:25 10 questions we need answering after the return of Broadchurch...
- 00:01 Robert Mercer: the big data billionaire waging war on mainstream media
- 00:01 Corbyn told: take blame for Copeland byelection flop or we face...
- 00:01 Jeremy Corbyn told not to 'pass the buck' after Labour defeat
- 00:01 Lost: test results diagnosing Jeremy Hunt with terminal incompetence
- 00:01 London must remain open to the world
- 00:01 Be fierce, furious, and fight! Join the Raccoons of the Resistance!
- 00:01 Enough navel-gazing. It’s time Labour got back to work
- 00:01 Stoke shows how to destroy Ukip – split the alienated voters and...
- 00:01 The parallels between Scottish nationalism and racism are clear
- 00:01 George Freeman’s dismissal of anxiety is pig-ignorance and must be...
- 00:01 The Guardian view on George W Bush: a welcome return
- 00:01 The Guardian view on disability benefits: head versus heart
- 00:01 The Guardian view on management consultants: the trick is confidence
- 00:01 Article 50 day won't be cut-off date for EU migrants, No 10 suggests
- 00:01 Sir Gerald Kaufman obituary
- 00:01 Peter Hain: hard Brexit puts Northern Ireland peace process at risk
- 00:01 Gerald Kaufman’s stellar PMQs moment
- 00:01 Better election results ahead for the Green party?
- 00:01 EU urged to end cooperation with Sudan after refugees whipped and...
- 00:01 Don't threaten to cut intelligence ties in Brexit talks, UK warned
- 00:01 BBC orders investigation into claims of aggressive TV licence...
- 00:01 Tributes paid to 'iconic' Labour MP Sir Gerald Kaufman
- 00:01 DUP braced to lose seats in Northern Ireland assembly elections
- 00:01 Chairman of housing association behind 'substandard' development...
- 00:01 Deported woman's family say Amber Rudd lacks compassion
- 00:01 May adviser regrets saying benefits should only go to 'really...
- 00:01 NHS data loss: 500 patients may have suffered serious harm