Hunt for student last seen running into the sea called off
The search for a university student who was last seen running into the sea has been called off as her mother said she ‘fears the worst’.
Sophie Smith, 21, left a note ‘outlining her intentions’ to take her life before she left her family home wearing just a vest and shorts at 3am on Boxing Day.
Volunteer search parties continue to comb the beaches near where CCTV captured her running towards the sea in Gorleston, Norfolk.
But Norfolk police said the search for the student would end at the weekend and that they will only react to ‘fresh information’.
This comes after her mother Lynn Shaw,... read more
- 11:12 Horrified woman picks up 71 bags worth of dog mess on Clitheroe walk
- 11:12 Bristol Museum sold unauthorised Banksy angel prints
- 11:11 Weather warning: Two more days of snow and high winds expected to...
- 11:11 Wildlife TV presenter coming to Leamington
- 11:11 'Violent bully' locked up after breaking nose of former partner
- 11:11 Man jailed for kidnap despite victim saying it didn’t happen
- 11:11 Sole-searching call to shut Bridlington’s ‘oldest shop’
- 11:10 Medical blunders costing East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust millions
- 11:10 Horrified woman picks up 71 bags worth of dog mess on Clitheroe walk
- 11:10 Tragic cat Sophie would have endured “great deal of suffering and...
- 11:09 Emmerdale spoilers: Joe Tate fate revealed? Ned Porteous breaks...
- 11:09 Avengers Infinity War: ‘Tom Holland’s Spider-Man set for Tom...
- 11:09 ‘Money for bypass or town bridge in five years’? - Council leader...
- 11:09 Medical blunders costing East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust millions
- 11:09 ‘Ambitious’ £200m plans for ‘coastal highway’ could see ‘massive...
- 11:09 Peterbrook Primary School
- 11:09 Jaguar Land Rover bring back the Defender with 70th anniversary V8...
- 11:09 Kirklees responds after residents complain roads weren't gritted...
- 11:08 Wildlife TV presenter coming to Leamington
- 11:08 Weather warning: Two more days of snow and high winds expected to...
- 11:08 Don Your Way column: Lemsip and tissues? Can only be man flu!
- 11:07 Book review: Five Days From Defeat - How Britain Nearly Lost the...
- 11:07 Book review: Bloody January, by Alan Parks
- 11:07 Family: Mum’s the Word
- 11:07 Chelsea news: Why Ross Barkley WILL succeed at Stamford Bridge -...
- 11:07 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd: Why Arsenal star wants Manchester United...
- 11:07 Rory McIlroy fires early Ryder Cup jibe at cocky Americans
- 11:06 These Liverpool landmarks are being pulled down - and here's why
- 11:06 Ian Wright questions Arsenal's pursuit of Manchester United outcast...
- 11:06 Vote for your dream order from Greggs