Hungary welcomes wealthy Chinese despite migrant hostility
Prime Minister Viktor Orban is known for his outspoken hostility to migrants and has built a razor-wire border fence to keep them out, but he has also quietly opened Hungary's doors to foreigners rich enough to pay to live in the country.
A "residency bond" scheme, launched in 2013, has attracted thousands of mostly affluent Chinese keen to enjoy the cleaner air, educational opportunities and the more relaxed pace of life that Europe offers - and, unlike the refugees fleeing conflicts in the Middle East, these immigrants feel very welcome.
"It's a successful scheme because it... read more
- 17:06 A-listers take R Kelly’s words to heart as they party at...
- 17:05 Exclusive Connor Simpson PNE column
- 17:05 Payback time after PNE’s suffering in Suffolk
- 17:05 Harrogate's women-led festival of beer
- 17:05 Hannah Turtle jailed for life for murdering her baby son
- 17:04 'Easy fix' to 'dangerous' Northampton junction spotted by resident...
- 17:02 Man Utd star slammed for sleep walking through Sevilla clash
- 17:02 Mundell backs Scottish Tory MPs over 'hard Brexit' letter
- 17:01 Agreement with airport aims for better transport links
- 17:01 M1 crash deaths: Lorry driver 'twice drink-drive limit'
- 17:01 NRA's Wayne LaPierre echoes Trump's plan to arm teachers
- 17:00 Celtic captain Scott Brown is already 'Russia's favourite Scotsman'...
- 17:00 North Tyneside man jailed for burglary and assault
- 16:59 BREAKING: Car ploughs into group of children in Slovakia – 12 injured
- 16:59 Morty’s 1953 FA Cup final hat-trick ball makes five grand at auction
- 16:58 Delays on M53 following collision between lorry and car
- 16:58 Conference on investing set to arrive in Edinburgh
- 16:58 BBC TV licence fee to rise by £3.50 in April
- 16:58 Harrogate's women-led festival of beer
- 16:58 Ambulance crew save Leeds toddler’s life as his heart stops for...
- 16:58 Roger Federer WILL take on Rafael Nadal at French Open: Maclagan...
- 16:58 Man Utd news: Is this the reason Alexis Sanchez has struggled since...
- 16:58 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho wants Lionel Messi friend if he lets...
- 16:57 Lewis Hamilton prepared for rivalry with Sebastian Vettel to become...
- 16:55 Deadline extended on Melton Trumpton cash appeal
- 16:54 Murderer tried to kill second woman during release from prison for...
- 16:54 Homes targeted in Perry Barr after three burglaries in one night
- 16:54 Imam responds in perfect way to being racially abused on train
- 16:54 West Bromwich Albion vs Huddersfield: Team news, kick off time, TV...
- 16:54 I call on Ireland and Britain to break the Stormont deadlock