Hungary could impose ban on EU migrant quotas in November - Fidesz
Hungary's parliament could amend the constitution to ban mandatory EU migrant resettlement on Nov. 8, with the ban taking force by mid-November, the head of the ruling Fidesz party said on Tuesday, after a weekend referendum vote against the quotas.
Lajos Kosa also told a news conference that Hungary was committed to its European Union membership.
Speaking at the same news conference, Prime Minister Viktor Orban said: "We have to state clearly that without the approval of Hungarian parliament Brussels .... cannot settle any migrants in Hungary. And we have to state clearly that we ban... read more
- 10:57 Kate Bush plans Emily Bronte tribute 40 years after releasing...
- 10:55 Caught by online ‘paedophile hunter’ group
- 10:55 Gadgets: 5 of the best virtual reality headsets
- 10:54 Alfie Evans’ parents to discuss taking son home
- 10:53 Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard considered by Rangers as potential...
- 10:53 A 'reward card scheme' proposed for good Birmingham citizens who...
- 10:53 Prince Harry asks William to be Best Man at Meghan Markle wedding
- 10:53 Should you date your best friend? These people say it’s the best...
- 10:53 New chair for Sellafield Ltd announced
- 10:53 Appeal to find man, 88, last seen at Killingworth Shopping Centre
- 10:52 Street marshals bolster police teams keeping revellers safe in...
- 10:51 Why Tube users are speaking up about invisible illnesses
- 10:51 In this week’s Herald . . .
- 10:51 Local solar energy project aims to give back to the community, as...
- 10:50 Street marshals bolster police teams keeping revellers safe in...
- 10:50 Police: Appeal to help find Prestwich man wanted on recall to prison
- 10:50 Burglaries at primary schools in Radcliffe and Little Lever
- 10:49 Helping Scarborough teenagers make a choice
- 10:49 Ribble Valley young talent perform at Blackburn Rovers game
- 10:48 Campaign of witness intimidation
- 10:47 CCTV released following attempted theft from B&Q
- 10:47 BBC pays out hardship money to 15 presenters embroiled in tax row
- 10:47 Fancy living in this Tolkien-style gentleman’s retreat in the North...
- 10:47 Humberside - the county no one loved
- 10:47 Street marshals bolster police teams keeping revellers safe in...
- 10:47 William to be best man at royal wedding
- 10:46 Three crashes lead to traffic chaos between Wellingborough and Rushden
- 10:46 Roy Keane tells Mohamed Salah what he must do to reach Lionel Messi...
- 10:46 Street marshals bolster police teams keeping revellers safe in...
- 10:45 Keir Starmer hits back at McCluskey in Labour antisemitism row