Huge increase in number of fines for pupils missing school
A council has issued more than 2,000 fines to parents for their child's unauthorised absence from school since last September – a six-fold increase on the previous year.
Last year, Nottinghamshire County Council voted to lower the threshold for how long a child could be absent before a fine is issued.
That meant instead of a 25% absence rate - or seven-and-a-half days over six weeks - a parent could be fined if their child missed 10% of lessons, or three days, over the same period.
A report discussed at Monday's children and young people's committee meeting said the council has issued 2,200... read more
- 08:26 Engineering firm IMI sees drop in 2017 first-half organic revenue
- 08:26 Witches are putting a spell on Donald Trump at midnight
- 08:25 FOLLOW-UP: Angry reaction over the ‘red phone box saga’ continues
- 08:24 Aston Villa LIVE: Steve Bruce's press conference; Scott Hogan...
- 08:24 Cannabis plants found in police raid in Rotherham
- 08:24 Tributes after legendary local football figure dies
- 08:23 Property expert reveals where in Grimsby and Cleethorpes is best...
- 08:23 Badminton: Double delight for Diane Gillan at Scottish Championships
- 08:22 Here’s how you can cancel your Labour party membership
- 08:22 Challenge of delays in leaving hospital
- 08:21 Lorry driver rescued by Lincolnshire’s Deputy Police and Crime...
- 08:20 Zachary Quinto slams Trump over transgender students at Oscar...
- 08:20 Guus Hiddink on Leicester City’s shortlist to replace Claudio Ranieri
- 08:20 Lorry driver rescued by Lincolnshire’s Deputy Police and Crime...
- 08:20 Should Nottingham's Brian Clough statue be moved to the City Ground?
- 08:19 Littletown defeat league leaders and remain on course for treble
- 08:17 In Japan, 'Rocky' and 'Premium Friday' join fight against overtime
- 08:17 Chelsea first-team star could be shipped out this summer: Here's why
- 08:16 The Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan SLAMS 'stupid people'...
- 08:13 Storm Doris sees Boston’s Sluice Bridge level crossing stuck shut
- 08:12 Middlewood Park and Ride closed this Sunday for maintenance work
- 08:10 Vital Foresight youth club saved thanks to £66,000 grant funding...
- 08:10 Health minister Philip Dunne backing midwife-led maternity units
- 08:10 Work to start on converting Newport's Royal Victoria Hotel into flats
- 08:10 Shropshire councillors freeze annual allowances
- 08:10 Spared jail: Telford teenager sexually assaulted woman as she slept
- 08:10 Shropshire savers lose out as building society cuts rates
- 08:10 Paul Nuttall defiant despite humiliating defeat in Stoke Central...
- 08:10 Shropshire pub raiders steal cash, alcohol and laptop
- 08:10 Person 'unaccounted for' after Shropshire house fire