Huge costs threat to your free press
0 Have your say The phone hacking scandal which engulfed the News of the World shocked the nation.
But the subsequent inquiry entirely exonerated the local press and said newspapers like this one should not be penalised by any processes designed to prevent a repeat.
How laughable that promise now seems.
Although we have willingly signed up to the toughest independent regulation through IPSO - which rightly consumes an enormous amount of journalists' time whenever a complaint is made - it seems politicians are still not satisfied.
Under the Crime and Courts Act of 2013, we are already liable... read more
- 16:18 Drug den boarded up in South Normanton
- 16:17 In pictures: Anti-Brexit protesters refuse to back down even after...
- 16:16 The five most expensive new cars in the world
- 16:15 Pet store chain to stop selling rabbits in Northampton over Easter
- 16:15 New Ferry family reunited with pet cat four days after explosion
- 16:15 EastEnders spoiler: Cora Cross' return REVEALED in devastating plot...
- 16:15 Banbury man dies after crashing car into tree in Northamptonshire
- 16:15 Morecambe FC players and staff paid wages after third delay
- 16:15 National Sea Life Centre in Brindleyplace unveils latest attraction
- 16:14 Man convicted of rape following four-month horror spree
- 16:14 Man painting 'I'm innocent' on roof in Saner Street - police at scene
- 16:14 Cristiano Ronaldo statue: Bust of former Manchester United ace...
- 16:14 Man City confident Arsenal will miss out academy starlet Jadon Sancho
- 16:14 Three Manchester United games that will decide top four chances
- 16:14 WATCH: Stomach-churning footage of cruise ship being BATTERED by...
- 16:12 RNLI figures show increase for Northumberland lifeboat crews
- 16:12 Welcome to Chester's chocolate factory
- 16:12 Do you know this man?
- 16:11 Suspect in school machete incident appears in court
- 16:11 Police 'wanted' man appeal: Have you seen this suspected burglar...
- 16:11 Stabbing victim Aiden McAteer's family tell of shock at home attack
- 16:11 Hilton shoplifter stole garlic and tomatoes worth £1 from Tesco
- 16:11 Wife beating cricketer Mustafa Bashir could have his sentence...
- 16:10 This is when Beauty and the Beast Chip mugs will be back in Primark
- 16:10 Revealed: Ambitious bid to send Channel 4 to Coventry
- 16:10 Some 146 migrants feared dead after shipwreck, sole survivor says
- 16:10 Do you recognise these watches?
- 16:08 Fantasy Football Tips: The transfers you should make for Gameweek 30
- 16:07 RNLI figures show increase for Northumberland lifeboat crews
- 16:07 Knitted chicks set to boost funds