HS2 should be brought forward for Commonwealth Games says city chief
The opening of HS2 could be brought forward to make 2026 a year to remember for Birmingham if the city’s Commonwealth Games bid is successful it has been claimed.
Council deputy leader Ian Ward says that the city will lobby to ensure both HS2 and a new metro tram line from Birmingham city centre to the airport and HS2 interchange is also up and running at the same time.
Read More Birmingham bids for Commonwealth Games 2026
He said: “I think the current timetable for HS2 is the end of 2026, but with the Commonwealth Games there would be a strong argument for bringing that forward and it is... read more
- 14:21 Fire crew called to Workington blaze
- 14:21 Prison governor hospitalised after 'unprovoked inmate attack' at...
- 14:21 Bongo's Bingo's back!
- 14:21 Suspects appear in court over robbery where knife allegedly held to...
- 14:21 Open meeting about church tourism in East Northants tonight
- 14:20 COOKING WITH THE CHARLES: French strawberry tart
- 14:20 Row over volunteer role hits Bridlington Lifeboat
- 14:20 Bonmarche finds good market online
- 14:20 Guy Verhofstadt: Scotland ‘obliged to follow’ Brexit decision
- 14:19 Royal Highland Show 2018: Everything you need to know
- 14:19 Cough syrup recall over mould risk from ingredients
- 14:19 Council demanded payment card details via email
- 14:19 Mystery of unknown woman found dead and severely decomposed
- 14:17 Honest charity workers hand in envelope stacked with £3,600 in cash
- 14:17 Young motorcyclist critical after collision with a Land Rover in...
- 14:17 World Cup Wolves: Ten players that Nuno Espirito Santo could keep...
- 14:17 Warning issued over bogus bins in Solihull
- 14:17 New video flies through £700m Paradise project
- 14:17 Dear Alan Sugar, this is why your tweet about Senegal’s World Cup...
- 14:16 £847,000 of changes for 'accident blackspot' in Rugby
- 14:16 Bongo's Bingo's back!
- 14:16 Ribbon cut on new Lichfield One city centre housing development
- 14:15 Devastated couple plan to leave their Pendle home of 50 years after...
- 14:15 Career crook smashed Burnley shop window
- 14:15 Burnley man 'bombarded' ex with calls and texts despite warning
- 14:14 Top Catalan chef Joan Roca defends decision to host Spanish king
- 14:14 Fake 'tweet' claims 999 operators swamped by Kasbah closure calls
- 14:14 Here's why Midlands bus users are being offered free tickets
- 14:13 World Cup group D: Argentina vs. Croatia team news, kick-off time...
- 14:13 Passenger flights at Prestwick Airport to end?