How to move from a world of war to a world of peace?
TOM UNTERRAINER explores how trade unionists can press for arms conversion in the face of government reluctance to abandon militarism
SOCIALLY useful production loomed large over proceedings on the final day of the International Peace Bureau’s World Congress, which convened in Berlin earlier this month.
Over 1,000 delegates from peace organisations in 75 countries took stock, discussed and planned for the years ahead.
International Peace Bureau co-president Ingeborg Breines opened with a call to combat the “imperialist thinking” behind the idea that we must always be “prepared for war.”... read more
- 13:35 Snooker stars show their support for Hartlepool United
- 13:34 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho breaks silence and makes shock admission...
- 13:34 Real Madrid team news: Predicted Real Madrid line up vs Deportivo...
- 13:33 Film reviews: The Post | The Final Year | Coco | The Commuter
- 13:32 Tyson Fury free to set-up Anthony Joshua fight after boxing...
- 13:32 Olivier Giroud next club: Three Premier League sides in running to...
- 13:32 Wrexham AFC must be 100% focused for Hartlepool clash
- 13:31 Town Council agrees precept rise for Whitehaven residents
- 13:30 Castleford school to gift 1,000 books to set up library in Ghana
- 13:30 Health bosses hope to reassure people over shake-up of A&E services...
- 13:30 MP highlights issues facing hospital trust during parliamentary debate
- 13:30 New trusts announced for some of WCAT schools - but not those in...
- 13:29 Leeds man jailed for life for murder of Halifax mum Jessica King
- 13:29 Chelsea news: Antonio Conte opens up on transfer plans with Dzeko...
- 13:29 Court: Man punched to floor in Boroughbridge betting shop attack
- 13:28 British Boxing Board of Control WILL lift Tyson Fury's suspension...
- 13:28 UCI chief David Lappartient says Team Sky should suspend Chris...
- 13:28 Parents' privacy fears after school removes wall from front of...
- 13:28 Another road in Cumbria closed off because of badgers
- 13:28 Meet the Manager: Mark Hughes (Prestatyn Sports FC)
- 13:26 Man arrested after alleged sexual assault at Fellgate Metro station
- 13:26 M1 traffic: Huge delays following multi-vehicle crash - live updates
- 13:25 REVEALED: The number of pupils from your area of Wakefield...
- 13:25 Tyson Fury turns down Joseph Parker’s ring walk invitation
- 13:23 Lane closure prompts slow traffic on busy stretch of A50
- 13:22 Another road in Cumbria closed off because of badgers
- 13:22 Planned strike at Sellafield called off
- 13:22 Man exposes himself to teenage girl on Leicester bound train
- 13:22 Data-stealing spyware 'traced to Lebanon'
- 13:22 New group starts planning for Sleaford Christmas Market 2018 - and...