How to keep house prices low for generations to come
Imagine a world in which the price of housing stopped rising as predictably as a hydrogen-filled balloon.
And imagine a country in which houses would be just as affordable in 10 years' time as they were 10 years ago.
There would be no race to buy a home, no fear that prices would accelerate faster than you can save up for the deposit.
Houses would cease to be a means of profit, and instead become just a place to live.
But this is no John Lennon-inspired fantasy.
It is about to come to fruition in the East End of London, in an extraordinary experiment.
For the first time, future property... read more
- 08:43 European shares led higher by telecoms, Unilever slump weighs
- 08:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:42 Person rescued from early morning house fire
- 08:42 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:41 Two Barrow teenagers banned from football for five years after...
- 08:41 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:41 Oscar nominee Isabelle Huppert 'nearly wasn't in Elle'
- 08:41 WW2 veteran fulfils wartime wish by turning 100 surrounded by...
- 08:41 Brian Wilson: Crunch time now for BBC Alba, a Scottish success story
- 08:41 Which pop stars deserve a blue plaque in their honour?
- 08:41 Donald Trump state visit will be debated in Parliament
- 08:41 Column: Decision must be made about college
- 08:40 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:40 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:39 Firefighters tackle car blaze near Ludlow
- 08:39 Video: Tadcaster whole again as Archbishop blesses bridge
- 08:39 Celebrate town, but don’t revert to stereotypes
- 08:39 Shooting victim named as Sheffield murder investigation continues
- 08:39 Out-of depth May in thrall to authoritarian Tory right
- 08:38 NHS IN CRISIS: GP numbers in England heading for a ‘cliff edge’
- 08:38 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:38 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:38 Cillian Murphy 'nicked' film director's crew for Peaky Blinders
- 08:38 Victim offers reward for recovery of stolen car
- 08:38 Birmingham hotter than Rome as hot air from Caribbean sweeps in
- 08:38 Sheffield shooting latest - what we know so far
- 08:38 Birmingham City Hall of Famer Roger Hynd passes away aged 75
- 08:37 Buying a property is still cheaper than renting but at £705 a month...
- 08:37 Star Wars 8 The Last Jedi: 'Luke wants Rey to kill Kylo Ren' in...
- 08:37 UK builder Bovis posts profit fall, to build fewer homes