How Princess Diana warmed the hearts of the North East and joked with staff at the Chronicle
Twenty years ago today, the world woke to the shocking news that Diana, Princess of Wales, had died in a car crash in the heart of Paris.
Diana had been a frequent visitor to the North East.
Here at the Chronicle, staff had first-hand experience of the ‘Queen of Hearts’ or the ‘People’s Princess’ as she came to be known.
On April 3, 1991, during part of an official visit to the region, she officially opened the Chronicle and Journal’s new colour printing press.
Under the headline, Princess of Smiles, the paper reported on her visit as she charmed the workers at the then Thomson House.
Down... read more
- 16:02 Credit card use by Northants County Council questioned by auditors
- 16:02 How Sheffield's conservation advisors are keeping heritage up to date
- 16:02 From carp to bream: 8 of the best places to go fishing in Yorkshire
- 16:02 Liverpool fans LOVE what Virgil van Dijk told Jamie Carragher about...
- 16:01 Sheffield Council sells furniture to Rotherham
- 15:59 The Yorkshire Post says: Incoherence of Chris Grayling. He must...
- 15:59 Hartlepool United Supporters' Trust chairman snaps up first 2018-19...
- 15:59 Police appeal following incident on A596
- 15:59 Big interview: Bridget Christie on mixing comedy and politics
- 15:58 Facebook is asking for your naked photos - to stop revenge porn
- 15:58 Charity football match to raise cash for Sheffield heart defect boy, 8
- 15:56 Isis supporter encouraged terrorists to target Prince George, court...
- 15:56 Film review: Solo - A Star Wars Story
- 15:55 The Yorkshire Post says: Incoherence of Chris Grayling. He must...
- 15:53 Forget brunch, how about snacking on an avocado on toast...
- 15:52 Plan would see £300,000 investment in Blackpool Illuminations
- 15:50 James Arthur sued by The Script over Say You Won't Let Go
- 15:50 Yorkshire set for heavy downpours and thunderstorms this week
- 15:49 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:49 My ex-wife and I agreed to split my pension 50-50, but my old...
- 15:49 Wael Abbas: Prominent Egyptian blogger 'arrested'
- 15:48 Police seeking this man following Chesterfield football disturbance
- 15:46 Ensuring a lasting legacy for Nick with Foundation
- 15:45 PM Theresa May denies responsibility for changes to hospital...
- 15:44 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:43 Battered chip shacks of Brussels in taste tussle
- 15:42 Roy Nelson hopes Bellator will make things right after London...
- 15:42 Unai Emery wants Arsenal to adopt a ‘very intensive pressing...
- 15:41 Suicidal mom killed herself and murdered son, 8, by pulling him...
- 15:41 Donation to help dementia patients