How our ancestors drove the spread of STIs: Researchers find they may have been hit with archaic form of HPV after breeding with Neanderthals
Ancestral human populations may have been infected more than 500 thousand years ago with an archaic form of HPV16, the sexually transmitted infection that’s now responsible for most cervical and oral cancers.
While it was previously thought that the STI co-evolved with modern humans, a new study suggests it may already have existed among the ancestors of both humans and Neanderthals, splitting into two lineages.
When modern human populations eventually left Africa and began interbreeding with Neanderthals and Denisovans, they became infected by the viral variant that had evolved with... read more
- 16:35 Supermarket chain makes £1.9 million investment and creates 15 new...
- 16:34 Explained: Four major mistakes Alan Pardew has made to West Brom's...
- 16:34 Liverpool goalkeeper linked with Newcastle United move - but would...
- 16:33 Keep off our land, indigenous women tell Ecuador's president
- 16:33 Officers remove bench in Salisbury where Skripals fell ill
- 16:33 Police inspector who dumped wife’s body in lake convicted of murder
- 16:32 Twenty-five England fans arrested in Amsterdam before friendly
- 16:33 Police inspector murdered his detective wife after she rumbled his...
- 16:32 Sunderland, Birmingham City, Middlesbrough, Derby County - Burton...
- 16:32 In Pictures: ‘Power grab’ protesters encricle Scottish Parliament
- 16:32 PROJECT UPDATE: Chorley’s new Youth Zone
- 16:31 A pedlar who was selling goods door-to-door without a certificate...
- 16:29 Ex-fracking protester changed sides to join protesters
- 16:28 Arsenal legend David Seaman makes huge Jack Wilshere prediction
- 16:27 England football fans arrested in Amsterdam after violent clashes
- 16:27 How Harvey Weinstein's accusers are fighting their way back to the top
- 16:27 Clean up your skatepark - or lose it
- 16:26 Olivier Giroud reveals this major frustration since joining Chelsea...
- 16:26 Manchester United 'confident' they can land this £40m Brazil star...
- 16:26 Court briefs: Who's been up in court?
- 16:26 Lorry drivers jailed over fatal M1 crash
- 16:26 Leeds school was on lockdown after Horsforth Town Street robbery
- 16:26 Dan Jarvis wins Labour nomination to run for Sheffield City Region...
- 16:25 EU ambassador to Moscow recalled over Russian nerve agent attack
- 16:25 Hundreds of jobs to go as restaurant chain Prezzo axes nearly 100...
- 16:25 Dan Jarvis wins Labour nomination to run for Sheffield City Region...
- 16:24 Lichfield mum half way through marathon challenge for diabetes charity
- 16:24 Prezzo to close almost 100 restaurants with loss of about 500 jobs
- 16:24 Driver dies after crash on the A38 in Lichfield
- 16:24 Volkswagen Touareg 2018: everything you need to know