How Manchester United beat Arsenal to sign Cristiano Ronaldo
Manchester United signed Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of Arsenal because Arsene Wenger did not stump up the money.
Ronaldo arrived at Old Trafford from Sporting Lisbon in 2003, going on to win three Premier League titles and the Champions League.
But former Arsenal scout Damien Comolli, who has also worked for Tottenham and Liverpool, claims the move to United almost didn't happen.
He told SFR Sport: "The first time I saw Ronaldo, it was at the Montaigu tournament and he was 15.
“At half-time, I called my contact in Portugal to which I said that I had seen a phenomenon. I had not seen that... read more
- 15:30 Troy: Fall of a City: Who was King Priam? Was the Trojan king real?
- 15:30 Stand down – Ed Sheeran isn’t married despite wearing ‘wedding ring’
- 15:30 ‘When I think about him touching me, my flesh crawls’ Worksop man...
- 15:30 Welcome to Halifax: 'The Shoreditch of the North'
- 15:30 Mansfield man’s “terrifying” attack on ex-partner
- 15:29 Mansfield man’s “terrifying” attack on ex-partner
- 15:29 Agent admits Manchester United target Jorginho could leave Napoli
- 15:29 Victor Lindelof 'wants reassurances from Jose Mourinho over his...
- 15:29 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:28 RAF Tornado's night flight pictured over Leeds
- 15:28 MPs endorse Labour council candidate who claimed ISIS doesn't exist
- 15:28 Travellers finally move on from Ellesmere Port Sports Village car park
- 15:25 RAF Tornado's night flight pictured over Leeds
- 15:25 Jeremy Wright MP urging Home Office to change mind on cannabis...
- 15:24 Five ways your local pharmacy can help your child 'stay well'
- 15:24 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:24 Whitehaven Town Council to debate extreme protection measures
- 15:23 Lost Broadway songs make the stage at last
- 15:23 New driver jailed after crash caused death of two women from Spalding
- 15:22 Woman dies after nine-hour ambulance wait
- 15:22 Rail commuter who lost legs in fall has £1.9m claim rejected
- 15:22 What is the Windsor hum and is it really US Steel’s fault?
- 15:22 Samsung Galaxy S9 smartphone images leaked by MWC app
- 15:21 M62 Ainley Top shooting trial delayed by seven more months
- 15:21 In pictures: 140 years of Sheffield’s Salvation Army
- 15:21 Man fined £3,000 for having branches cut off a tree in Loughborough
- 15:19 Derbyshire man charged with the robbery of a 12-year-old girl
- 15:18 Real Madrid star Toni Kroos wants to join Manchester United with...
- 15:18 Winter Olympics 2018: Do Olympians get paid for winning medals? How...
- 15:18 Roger Federer’s father makes shock claim about Rafael Nadal as...