How Lancashire inspired the greats of British literature
0 Have your say Hard Times, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Lord of the Rings, Jane Eyre – all written by the literary greats and every author behind these classics was influenced and inspired by the towns and cities of Lancashire. Louise Busfield reports Author Charles Dickens visited Preston in 1854 and it was during his time in Lancashire he wrote his famous novel Hard Times.
It tells the story of the plight of the Victorian working class in a mill town.
It is believed the Preston strike of 1853-1854, which closed the cotton mills for seven months, heavily influenced his writing of Hard... read more
- 18:27 Dan Evans: Tennis star admits to cocaine use and positive drugs test
- 18:26 The 'Aggressive Bexiteer': Would I still vote Leave?
- 18:26 Legendary cricket commentator Henry Blofeld calls time on...
- 18:26 Man who asked plain clothes police for 'spare change' handed £235 bill
- 18:24 Rangers won't miss Mike Ashley as he was poisonous at Ibrox - watch...
- 18:24 British tennis star Dan Evans admits he failed drugs test after...
- 18:24 Simon Cowell's Grenfell single tops UK chart
- 18:24 Teen shot on doorstep in drive-by attack on Walton street
- 18:24 Chelsea target James Rodriguez prefers Premier League transfer as...
- 18:23 Three children among five people dead after being electrocuted in...
- 18:23 Tennis star Dan Evans admits he failed drugs test
- 18:23 Dog rescued on Snowdon after skinning its paws on rough terrain
- 18:23 U.S. stocks rise on tech gains, oil rebound
- 18:23 VIDEO: Music to make you smile!
- 18:22 Southampton appoint Mauricio Pellegrino: Claude Puel successor...
- 18:21 Blow for EU as Czech’s REJECT eurozone entry: ‘Just 30% want it’
- 18:21 Tech Tent: Uber at a crossroads
- 18:20 Coroner appeal after man with Newcastle links found dead on Teesside
- 18:20 Bradley Lowery 'so happy' after classmates record charity tribute
- 18:19 Grenfell Tower fire: Simon Cowell charity single knocks Justin...
- 18:19 Tim Sherwood takes aim at Aston Villa's infamous transfer committee
- 18:19 Former Birmingham City captain returns to Blues in coaching role
- 18:19 Josh Harrop reveals why he left Manchester United
- 18:17 Dunstable punter's £1m Ascot bet falls on final furlong
- 18:17 Police find gun after scrambler yobs shoot at home
- 18:16 Teenage girl in critical condition after being hit by car in Leeds...
- 18:16 VIDEO: Everything you need to know about Snapchat's new location...
- 18:16 Sheffield robbery victim, 80, suffers suspected broken leg and wrist
- 18:16 Nine nostalgic images of Chester's former hospitals
- 18:15 Wall St Week Ahead-Oil's drop could leave a stain on earnings