How Guyana is trying to combat its high suicide rate
Chattering amiably, heads bent over plugs and wires, enthusiasm among students in the electrical installation class is palpable.
The bright welcoming venue, framed by rice paddies, looks the picture of pastoral contentment.
But behind its creation lies an unsettling reality.
This upbeat community centre was built to address the devastating number of suicides both here on the scenic Essequibo Coast - and in Guyana itself, which holds the dubious distinction of the highest suicide rate in the world.
World Health Organization figures claim 44.2 in every 100,000 Guyanese take their own lives,... read more
- 00:22 Mixed message on complex realities of Muslim life in Europe
- 00:22 Neoliberalism’s stalking horse
- 00:22 Arsenal silence critics with derby win
- 00:22 Bairstow: England are raring to go
- 00:22 England get it done on a wet Saturday evening
- 00:22 The novel of lust and lunacy that enraged Spain
- 00:22 Get set for next year’s Merthyr Rising Festival
- 00:22 Should we still use the terms ‘bourgeois’ and ‘proletariat’?
- 00:22 A gaffe that wasn’t a gaffe
- 00:22 Madrid under fire for welcoming in fugitive ex-mayor
- 00:22 PLO blasts threat to close down diplomatic outpost
- 00:22 Goodbye and good riddance, Mugabe?
- 00:22 Anti-frackers face increasing police violence
- 00:22 BiFab workers celebrate victory for work-in fight
- 00:22 Socialist values the way back to power
- 00:21 How mum moved to Italy to learn about ice cream - now her own...
- 00:21 Watch painful moment girl loses £1000 jackpot on madcap new TV...
- 00:21 Theresa May announces £250 million for major Midland Metro...
- 00:21 Black Friday survey finds 60% of last year's deals available at...
- 00:19 Germany coalition: Talks collapse as FDP pulls out
- 00:17 Matt Doherty marvels at John Ruddy as Wolves show they can do the...
- 00:08 Club vs country is a challenge to keep check on travelling Premier...
- 00:08 Dribbling in football is becoming a dying art... the coaches have...
- 00:04 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Has the magic worn off for Debbie McGee?
- 00:04 I'm A Celebrity 2017: Ant McPartlin up to his old tricks in the jungle
- 00:04 I’m A Celebrity 2017: Shappi Khorsandi breaks down amid horrifying...
- 23:58 Ex-England paceman Gladstone Small on retaining the Ashes on...
- 23:58 Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting claims Alastair Cook will...
- 23:57 Chile election: Conservative Sebastian Pinera takes lead
- 23:48 Zlatan Ibrahimovic vows to hunt down Manchester City as he returns...