How does your area rate for medical blunders? Map shows the worst places for misdiagnosis as it’s revealed the NHS has paid over a BILLION pounds in claims in six years
The NHS has had to pay out a staggering £1 billion pounds in damages for misdiagnoses over the past six years – the amount it would cost to train 4,453 new doctors.
It had a total of 7,629 successful claims brought against it in England during this period and was forced to cough up £1.024bn, according to figures obtained from a Freedom of Information request.
The largest spike was seen in 2016/2017 when there were 1,534 awards – a rise of 28 per cent from 1,199 claims the previous year.
Across the six-year period, there was a 22 per cent increase in total.
However, while the number of... read more
- 20:33 Four Brits accused of setting fire to their hotel in Spain ‘as...
- 20:32 Man robbed at knifepoint and kicked in head in Leeds
- 20:32 Police release CCTV images of car used by masked burglars in West...
- 20:25 Tesco direct closure puts 500 jobs at risk
- 20:24 Smartphones are fuelling a surge in the number of Brits taking cocaine
- 20:23 'Wicked' fake cop conwoman stole life savings from OAP couple aged...
- 20:21 Central Americans flee homes in record numbers: 'The level of...
- 20:17 Watch: Ross Fountain ready to flow once more as restoration completed
- 20:11 $esc.html($content.name)
- 20:08 South Africa kidnappers make ransom demand in bitcoin
- 20:08 No repeat of data scandal, vows Mark Zuckerberg in Brussels
- 20:06 Active shooter linked to murder fires scores of shots during...
- 20:06 Unai Emery set to only be involved in one Arsenal transfer this summer
- 19:59 Ivan Gazidis has won Arsenal power battle but Arteta was a gamble...
- 19:54 Promising footballer died after falling into river on lads’ holiday
- 19:45 Cristiano Ronaldo discovers Lionel Messi Barcelona transfer secret...
- 19:44 $esc.html($content.name)
- 19:44 Manchester United encouraged in pursuit of Lazio midfielder Sergej...
- 19:44 UK needs big digital upgrade to thrive after Brexit, says Hammond
- 19:43 Donald Trump just used the worst excuse to avoid answering a...
- 19:42 Blame middle class for drug-related violence, says police leader
- 19:37 Halifax Borough Market changes: what do you think?
- 19:36 Scott Fraser leaving Dundee United in hope of ‘playing at the...
- 19:34 Carlisle-born footballer Grant Holt on his temporary switch to...
- 19:32 Venezuelan president expels top US diplomat
- 19:29 Trump-Kim summit: Commemorative coin sparks ridicule
- 19:29 Blidworth man who stabbed and punched woman jailed for 18 months
- 19:23 Hammond to pledge superfast broadband for most homes
- 19:23 Watch Prince Harry and Meghan Markle attend first royal event as...
- 19:21 Barrow AFC's Grant Holt on his temporary switch to wrestling