How do you treat dementia? 'Startling’ numbers have not had medication reviewed
A recent study from five universities, published in the BMJ, found no overall reduction in the prescribing of antipsychotics to dementia patients in UK care homes between 2009 and 2012 despite a government plans to reduce the medication.
In most - 77 per cent - of cases in 2012, treatment was ‘excessive’ and lasted for far longer than the recommended six weeks.
However, The Good Care Group, which delivers around-the-clock live-in care at home for elderly people said only four per cent of its dementia patients take antipsychotic medication, in comparison to 40 per cent of care home... read more
- 11:29 When Santa got stuck in the mineshaft
- 11:29 Tamworth ABC's Ryan Hatton is crowned national champion for the...
- 11:29 China: Xi calls for stricter ideological control of universities
- 11:29 MANNEQUIN CHALLENGE: Police and firefighters film video to...
- 11:29 Traffic alert: Long delays after crash on M62
- 11:28 Police cordon in place after man is stabbed near his Derbyshire home
- 11:29 Campaign to build bridge over ‘danger bypass’ after accident
- 11:28 Teenager arrested at Burton railway station and charged with...
- 11:28 Non-league football club's results expunged after resigning from...
- 11:28 Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara frustrate England's bowlers on...
- 11:28 Should drivers give way to cyclists when turning left?
- 11:28 Man injured after hit-and-run in Louth
- 11:28 Holidays are coming ... and so are your South Yorkshire Coca Cola...
- 11:27 West Brom have become an improved attacking force under Tony Pulis...
- 11:27 Man charged with phone possession in HMP Ranby
- 11:27 SCAM ALERT: Do not click on this email
- 11:27 EU launches new investigation into Chinese steel imports
- 11:27 FTSE gains, on track for best week since July
- 11:26 Kirkham makes Labour switch
- 11:25 MANNEQUIN CHALLENGE: Police and firefighters film video to...
- 11:24 FESTIVE BONANZA DAY 12: Win a fantastic touchscreen laptop worth £150
- 11:24 Strictly: Len Goodman 'doesn't know' who many contestants are
- 11:24 Nine things NOT to do at your work Christmas party
- 11:24 BREAKING: Dutch right-winger Geert Wilders found guilty in hate...
- 11:23 FCA says to toughen up crowdfunding rules
- 11:22 Number of Blackpool children in care is 'off the scale'
- 11:22 Vince the tortoise can walk again thanks to a snazzy Lego wheel
- 11:21 Siblings switch on Beadnell’s lights
- 11:21 A feast of songs and beaming smiles
- 11:21 Holidays are coming ... and so are your South Yorkshire Coca Cola...