How birds avoid mid-air collisions: Study finds they always veer right, and the discovery could help prevent drone crashes
With the rise of drones and steadily increasing density of air-traffic, fears of collisions between both manned and unmanned craft have become far more urgent in recent years.
But according to researchers, autopilot systems could learn a trick or two from nature to become much safer.
In a new study, researchers in Australia investigated the ways in which pairs of budgerigars avoid collisions when flying head-on, revealing the birds always veer right to prevent a crash.
Scroll down for video
WHAT THE STUDY FOUND In the study, the researchers observed 102 flights of 10 male budgies - but not... read more
- 17:26 Grenade recovered from side of A483 between Chester and Wrexham
- 17:25 ‘Short window of opportunity’ to break Stormont deadlock
- 17:25 Free gelato at new Rugby ice cream parlour
- 17:25 Four men banned from Carlisle bars after violent incident
- 17:23 Iraqi forces make new push in Mosul Old City -federal police
- 17:23 Former Liverpool favourite Luis Garcia makes bold top four prediction
- 17:23 UFC star Nick Diaz rolls joint before triathlon
- 17:23 Foundations singer Clem Curtis dies aged 76
- 17:22 Ronaldo and Ronaldinho open up on who threw the best parties for...
- 17:22 Could your bridal party be on new TV show Always The Bridesmaid?
- 17:21 Have your say on Rushden Neighbourhood Plan
- 17:20 CCTV appeal after religious hate crime' in Derbyshire village
- 17:19 Which Derbyshire sites are among the UK’s most visited tourist...
- 17:18 Wham! star Andrew Ridgeley slams Channel 5 George Michael documentary
- 17:18 The everyday items you should NEVER buy from a supermarket
- 17:18 Driver alert! Swan 'moving lane to lane' near Barnetby Top
- 17:18 Why vegan mothers are more likely to have children who perform...
- 17:18 Spotted: Ex-Man United ace hospitalises opponent with vicious elbow...
- 17:18 Australia cricket captain labels India star a 'f***ing cheat' after...
- 17:17 FTSE hits one-month low as miners, Babcock slide
- 17:17 Tributes paid as loving Woodville couple die within days of each other
- 17:17 Devastation at district's loss of Royal British Legion hydrotherapy...
- 17:17 What is left when Peru's flood waters recede
- 17:15 Masood mother 'shocked and saddened'
- 17:15 Victim of terrifying sex assault in Glasgow sees off attacker with...
- 17:13 Leeds University Business School helps Yorkshire pupils to master...
- 17:12 Chance The Rapper sat in on kids’ Maths class at school and it was...
- 17:12 Devastation at district's loss of Royal British Legion hydrotherapy...
- 17:11 Ponteland are made to fight for their victory
- 17:11 Further police appeal following robbery in Beaudesert, Henley