How birds avoid mid-air collisions: Study finds they always veer right, and the discovery could help prevent drone crashes
With the rise of drones and steadily increasing density of air-traffic, fears of collisions between both manned and unmanned craft have become far more urgent in recent years.
But according to researchers, autopilot systems could learn a trick or two from nature to become much safer.
In a new study, researchers in Australia investigated the ways in which pairs of budgerigars avoid collisions when flying head-on, revealing the birds always veer right to prevent a crash.
Scroll down for video
WHAT THE STUDY FOUND In the study, the researchers observed 102 flights of 10 male budgies - but not... read more
- 01:30 Ben Affleck denies Batman exit rumours
- 01:26 Antonio Conte reveals Chelsea are close to another transfer after...
- 01:23 England captain Heather Knight keen on women's IPL
- 01:23 Andrew 'Beef' Johnston's hits back at 'pathetic' talkSPORT hosts...
- 01:14 Pokemon Go Lugia launch: Chicago Fest brings Legendary to Trainers...
- 01:14 Juventus 1-2 Barcelona: Neymar responds to transfer rumours by...
- 01:12 Manchester United Jose Mourinho press conference LIVE updates
- 01:10 Merseyrail strike hits Open golf at Royal Birkdale
- 01:10 Consultation on changing legal gender to be launched
- 00:57 'It sticks in my mind' - Prince William and Harry speak of last...
- 00:57 Marian Hill: 'An Apple advert kick-started our career'
- 00:55 Australia players' union warn time is running out to resolve pay...
- 00:55 The Open 2017: Final day tee-times as Jordan Spieth leads the field...
- 00:55 Chelsea swoop for Brazilian prodigy Richarlison as Antonio Conte...
- 00:55 Tottenham vs Paris Saint-Germain, International Champions Cup LIVE:...
- 00:51 Emmerdale spoilers: Pierce Harris walks free as Vanessa Woodfield’s...
- 00:35 Range Rover Velar 2017 REVIEW - Can Land Rover do no wrong?
- 00:32 Chelsea lead race to sign Brazilian striker Richarlison
- 00:32 Blood donation rules relaxed for gay men and sex workers
- 00:28 Fiction: Chicken Scratchings by Angela Clarke
- 00:28 HMP Hewell: Security teams dealing with 'ongoing incident'
- 00:28 Summer non-fiction books from biography to travel and nature reads
- 00:28 SNES Classic Mini pre-order US UPDATE - Walmart open pre-orders,...
- 00:26 K-golf: South Korea's female golfing phenomenon
- 00:24 Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins set to present BBC Generation Game reboot
- 00:22 Generation Game to be brought back with Mel and Sue
- 00:22 Princes tell documentary of 'fun' childhood with Diana
- 00:20 Grinding teeth at night? Nine things YOU should know about bruxism
- 00:20 How to stop a nosebleed - GP reveals why you are doing THIS wrong
- 00:20 High blood pressure is just ONE of nine factors which can cause...