How AI will take over the world: Researchers reveal the 'four ages of smart software' that will take tech from game playing to self awareness
The common, and recurring, view of the latest breakthroughs in artificial intelligence research is that sentient and intelligent machines are just on the horizon.
Machines understand verbal commands, distinguish pictures, drive cars and play games better than we do.
How much longer can it be before they walk among us?
Scroll down for video
The new White House report on artificial intelligence takes an appropriately skeptical view of that dream.
It says the next 20 years likely won't see machines 'exhibit broadly-applicable intelligence comparable to or exceeding that of humans,' though... read more
- 00:10 MRIs could ‘change equation’ for prostate cancer screening
- 00:08 How former Leeds sewage works turned into a top retail spot for...
- 00:08 England U19 3-0 Spain U19: Trent Alexander-Arnold scores brace to...
- 00:08 RFU chiefs planning big change for the Six Nations but players...
- 00:08 Man United star David De Gea: This is the best thing about Jose...
- 00:06 REVEALED: These are the 10 CHEAPEST European city breaks for UK...
- 00:06 Will Brexit hinder Yorkshire’s efforts to tackle human trafficking?
- 00:05 Glasgow and Edinburgh worst offenders in food hygiene standards
- 00:05 Scots teachers subject to ‘vicious’ online abuse from parents
- 00:00 Smalling knock gives Gibson first England call
- 00:00 Essential essence of Loud Women in twenty-one terrific tracks
- 00:00 Searching for unity, home and abroad
- 00:00 Facing up to capitalist realities
- 00:00 City fined €18k for Champions League offences
- 00:00 Hockey chiefs turn to knobstick team
- 00:00 A new dawn after all this wait?
- 00:00 Gutenberg’s dubious legacy
- 00:00 The passing of Martin McGuinness
- 00:00 Martin McGuinness: The man and the contradiction
- 00:00 Solidarity with Venezuela
- 00:00 Ireland: Communists pay tribute to McGuinness
- 00:00 Brazil: Attorney-general calls for wider corruption probe
- 00:00 US: Nunes agrees to answer committee
- 00:00 Measly 1% NHS pay offer angers union
- 00:00 Scotland: Anti-racists to protest against neonazi march
- 00:01 Danny Houghton and Jake Connor injury updates after Hull FC beat...
- 00:00 1 million car industry jobs at risk
- 23:59 Lewis Hamilton scorches but F1 is crying out for a Ferrari revival...
- 23:59 England yobs in the dock over Martin McGuinness chant as footage...
- 23:59 Eric Dier reveals his relief after anxious phone call to his mum in...