How a Tory MP's made £370k from oil firm with debts of £470m while small investors suffer a share price crash
Small investors who put their faith in Gulf Keystone Petroleum have been huge losers as hopes that the troubled oil company will strike it rich in Kurdistan have so far come to nothing.
Despite this lamentable state of affairs, a handful of men at the top of the business have been making large sums.
Intriguingly, they include Conservative MP Nadhim Zahawi, who before the Gulf Keystone debacle was probably best known as the multi-millionaire founder and former chief executive of online pollsters YouGov.
He is receiving upwards of £240,000 a year from the heavily-indebted company, even as... read more
- 14:11 I went to buy a vacuum cleaner and left with an existential crisis
- 14:11 Thomasina Miers' recipe for raspberry, cardamom and almond cake
- 14:11 Best friend of Sheffield's tragic Jarvin Blake pleads guilty to...
- 14:11 Devoted dad 'battered to death with cricket bat' after 'confronting...
- 14:10 UPDATE: Two men arrested following armed police operation in...
- 14:10 Planning applications: What is being built where you live?
- 14:09 Reading bug hits school students
- 14:09 Chris Grayling accused of ‘running scared’ as he pulls out of...
- 14:09 Solicitor is found guilty of stealing Wigan firm’s cash
- 14:08 Gentle old horse had to be put down after thugs cut its tongue out
- 14:08 Poundworld to hold 'closing down' sales as administrators insist...
- 14:06 Support proves key for teachers and children alike in Kenya’s...
- 14:06 UPDATE: Two men arrested following armed police operation in...
- 14:05 Bumper crowd turns out for Cleary's Home Show
- 14:03 Work continues on derelict Central Plaza Hotel in Carlisle
- 14:02 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 14:01 Appeal to trace family of Washington man
- 14:00 Ex-navy officer to be sentenced for sexual offences against eight...
- 14:00 Charity cyclist to set off at border
- 14:00 Should cobbles make a return to town centre?
- 14:00 Woman found after police appeal
- 14:00 RSPB: Frogs and toads are disappearing from Cumbrian gardens
- 14:00 Mesh bags are a thing this summer so our wallets can rejoice
- 13:59 Is it time to legalise medical cannabis in the UK?
- 13:59 Hull's Poundworld stores are officially closing - with a massive...
- 13:58 Two men rob man and woman of bike and phone in Northampton
- 13:58 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 13:56 Arsenal transfer news: How Ever Banega could fit into Unai Emery's...
- 13:56 Gateshead snap up released Middlesbrough youngster
- 13:55 Primary school bullies chop off five-year-old disabled girl's hair...