Hospitals and GP practices fail to check for HIV
Some hospitals and GP practices in England and Scotland are failing to carry out recommended HIV checks, a BBC investigation has found.
Experts suggest patients in areas with high rates of HIV ought to be offered a test when they register with a GP or are admitted to hospital.
But research carried out for BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme suggests many NHS providers are not doing this.
Health officials said the prevention of HIV infection remained a priority.
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) is currently reviewing its guidance on HIV testing and is due to... read more
- 15:42 Boris Johnson confronted by furious heckler over broken Brexit bus...
- 15:42 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:42 Adlington vigil tonight for Manchester victims
- 15:41 Georges St-Pierre will fight for the welterweight title - Dana White
- 15:41 Barcelona ready to stun Man United with ambitious transfer raid for...
- 15:41 Why you could be SIX TIMES more likely to win tomorrow's £25m...
- 15:41 Motorist caught drink-driving after car’s shutdown system kicked in
- 15:40 Women’s Tour: “Let’s really show our support for these elite...
- 15:39 Pippa Middleton wedding: Duchess of Cambridge in NUDE outfit with...
- 15:39 Manchester Arena attack 3pm update - what we know so far
- 15:39 New road opens in Alnwick
- 15:38 'We can show the terrorists they can never win' - Manchester's...
- 15:38 Manchester terror attack: How you can pay your respects in Coventry
- 15:38 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:38 Kenwick Park: Anne storms to Memorial Trophy win
- 15:37 Europa League final TV channel, kick-off time and odds for Man Utd...
- 15:37 A50 Groby Road northbound from Fiveways Junction closed for second...
- 15:37 Polar bear project at Doncaster's Yorkshire Wildlife Park wins top...
- 15:37 Morrissey biopic to close Edinburgh International Film Festival
- 15:36 Your events in Newcastle & the North East: A music festival,...
- 15:36 Sir Roger Moore: James Bond actor dies aged 89 after short battle...
- 15:35 Promising Forest Town footballer pronounced dead in hospital
- 15:35 Manchester terror attack: Urgent police appeal for dashcam footage
- 15:35 Motorist caught drink-driving after car’s shutdown system kicked in
- 15:35 Rail strikes suspended following terror attack
- 15:34 Manchester Arena terror attack - people with blood group O negative...
- 15:34 Unique grade II listed building in Harborough sold to local firm
- 15:34 Election hustings event in Leamington cancelled due to tragic...
- 15:34 Union calls off Northern Rail strike after Manchester attack
- 15:34 Bootle man jailed for blackmailing girl, 17, over "indecent" photos