Hospitals and GP practices fail to check for HIV
Some hospitals and GP practices in England and Scotland are failing to carry out recommended HIV checks, a BBC investigation has found.
Experts suggest patients in areas with high rates of HIV ought to be offered a test when they register with a GP or are admitted to hospital.
But research carried out for BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme suggests many NHS providers are not doing this.
Health officials said the prevention of HIV infection remained a priority.
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) is currently reviewing its guidance on HIV testing and is due to... read more
- 13:10 Which football team does Prince Harry support?
- 13:07 Homeless hero guards car for hours in rain to stop £450 being stolen
- 13:08 WEEKEND WEB: This Disaster is a huge success
- 13:07 Pep Guardiola hits back at Jose Mourinho over ‘tactical fouls’ jibe
- 13:07 Warning for drivers as car crashes into chinese takeaway after...
- 13:07 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Who will take the Glitterball?
- 13:06 LIVE! Coventry City v Cheltenham Town - commentary and analysis
- 13:05 The Hexham woman who gave gifts of life by donating six of her organs
- 13:05 Wolves blog: Sheffield Wednesday fans outsung; Under-par Wolves...
- 13:05 Revealed: The WORST streets in Newcastle for fly-tipping
- 13:03 Death mystery probe after billionaire and wife found dead in...
- 13:03 Rattling good gig is in store with local aces at Flowerpot
- 13:01 Man jailed after hitting his mate over the head with vodka bottle
- 13:02 Shirtless Burnley drunk racially abused bouncer while 'wasted' on...
- 13:02 Grantham travellers’ site is approved
- 13:01 William Carvalho wants Arsenal transfer after rejecting offer...
- 13:01 Watch as Hartlepool remembers the victims of First World War...
- 13:01 Hundreds of Huddersfield homes hit by power cut
- 13:00 What Aston Villa fans are saying ahead of Derby County clash
- 13:00 Allegations of a further sex assault have been exaggerated on...
- 12:58 "We did all we could" - first aider speaks after A66 crash near...
- 12:58 Running club tributes to man who died on A66 near Keswick
- 12:58 Star Wars Last Jedi: WORST Rotten Tomatoes audience score of saga –...
- 12:58 WEATHER WARNING: Met Office issue warning for ICE in Nottinghamshire
- 12:57 Why 'economic basket case' Portugal reminds me of Breaking Bad -...
- 12:56 Takeaway driver robbed at knifepoint - for a couple of pizzas and...
- 12:56 Hangover cures: Did you enjoy Mad Friday in Sheffield a bit too...
- 12:56 Man arrested after Sheffield city centre stabbing
- 12:54 Ofsted chief Amanda Spielman receives 'venomous' threats
- 12:54 Johnston Press digital awarded funding from Google innovation...