Hong Kong stocks rise in thin trade; oil shares shine
Oct 5 Hong Kong stocks rose slightly on Wednesday, outperforming regional markets, lifted by energy shares after an overnight surge in oil prices.
The benchmark Hang Seng Index rose 0.5 percent at 23,796.21 points by lunch break, while China Enterprises Index gained 0.9 percent to 9,843.22 points. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan was down 0.2 percent.
Energy stocks account for 14 percent of Hong Kong's benchmark index, a much higher percentage than in many other markets.
Wednesday's gains came in relatively thin trade as mainland markets are shut for a week due to... read more
- 02:13 The new Royal Yacht Britannia – a £100m begging bowl?
- 02:08 Brexit: Hammond rejects business calls for customs union
- 02:05 Mexico: brazen daylight shootout turns Guadalajara into war zone
- 02:01 Wayne Bennett to consider another club if Broncos replace him
- 01:53 Can English remain the 'world's favourite' language?
- 01:53 David Lammy: 'Hate mail won't scare or silence me'
- 01:53 London Ambulance Service taken out of special measures
- 01:53 Call for greater oversight of recommendations of public inquiries
- 01:50 Lauren Goodger appears to make thinly-veiled dig at former TOWIE...
- 01:46 Colombia conflict: Swapping the battlefield for the football pitch
- 01:36 Manchester united in love as city turns out to remember 22 victims...
- 01:34 Australia free trade deal talks to push for greater access to EU's...
- 01:31 UB40's Ali Campbell: 'We're still cool'
- 01:08 Are sweeteners healthier than sugar?
- 01:06 Stephanie Davis' return to Hollyoaks: Actress reads her new script...
- 01:06 Love Island bosses 'ban cigarettes in the villa and garden for 2018...
- 01:06 Penelope Cruz's lookalike sister Mónica flaunts her envy-inducing...
- 01:06 The Rolling Stones return to London for first show in five years as...
- 01:06 Georgia Toffolo looks pretty in flirty pink tweed dress as she...
- 01:06 Kendall Jenner and Hailey Baldwin's bubble bath fun: Models take...
- 01:06 David Walliams and Matt Lucas 'feud': Little Britain duo seen...
- 00:56 Customer choice under threat at Britain's banks
- 00:52 Brian Cox among backers of new Scottish campaign to halt Brexit
- 00:51 US to lift ban on baiting bears with doughnuts in Alaska
- 00:48 Call for action on UK's screenwriter gender inequality
- 00:48 Richard Gere to make TV return with role in BBC drama
- 00:48 Manchester United 'remains most valuable club in Europe'
- 00:48 Banks 'charging more' for overdrafts than payday lenders
- 00:48 US Congress passes partial Dodd-Frank rollback in move to...
- 00:45 Michael Gove attacks Philip Hammond over Brexit legislation defeats