Homeless told to sleep rough to get help, St Mungo's says
Some homeless people have been told by councils to sleep rough so they can get help, a charity has said.
Research by St Mungo's found some local authorities turned away those in need or told them to sleep on the streets in order to access services.
It wants the government to ensure local authorities stop sending away those with nowhere to go.
Ministers say no-one should ever have to sleep rough and money was being invested to help those in need.
The findings, based on 40 St Mungo's clients, suggest that three-quarters slept rough after asking a council for help.
Should we give homeless... read more
- 11:43 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:43 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:43 Storm Doris flights: Is your journey affected as the weather bomb...
- 11:40 Jeremy Hunt calls for investigation into overnight closure of...
- 11:40 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:40 Storm Doris leaves fallen trees blocking Boston roads
- 11:40 Derby County: Aston Villa's weekend opponents under the microscope
- 11:39 High winds cause speed restriction on Scarborough trains
- 11:39 Storm Doris: Can I claim compensation for a delayed flight?
- 11:39 ALERT: Public urged to unplug EXPLODING tumble dryers
- 11:39 VIDEO: The calm before Storm Doris
- 11:39 Frustrations increasing over travellers in Warwick
- 11:39 National Express raises free cash flow outlook on international demand
- 11:39 Eight dead and 20 injured after bombing in Pakistan shopping centre
- 11:39 Spanish club offers women free entry, drink & £85 if they go...
- 11:38 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”
- 11:38 Time extension for Pavilion Gardens marquee
- 11:38 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:38 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Health Column: Time to protest as Government is turning blind eye...
- 11:37 Router hacker suspect arrested at Luton Airport
- 11:37 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:37 Love a man in uniform? Not if you live in Burnley
- 11:37 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Burnley has been "misled and let down" by the Government
- 11:37 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:37 HS2 high-speed rail project passes final hurdle
- 11:37 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:36 Brits are ditching their polite reputation to become excellent...
- 11:35 Police welfare a priority insist force bosses