Home Secretary targets landlords, banks and bosses in illegal immigration purge
The Home Secretary has announced a crackdown on illegal immigration and set out tough new measures to deport foreign criminals.
Amber Rudd laid out a three-stage plan to slash the numbers coming into Britain and announced a £140 million fund to help ease the strain on public services in places with high levels of immigration.
And she reissued the pledge to get immigration numbers down to the tens of thousands - but warned this "will not happen overnight".
In her first speech to the Conservative Party conference as Home Secretary, she told activists the vote to leave the EU was a... read more
- 08:39 Christmas events across Cumbria - take a look at our definitive guide
- 08:35 50 years of hits from a TV station that really caught fire
- 08:34 Youngsters decorating baubles for community
- 08:34 Ryan Seacrest denies sexual misconduct allegations
- 08:31 Norham stages successful show
- 08:31 Rotary early birds to light up Berwick for Christmas-time
- 08:31 Northumbria Police praised for domestic abuse work
- 08:27 Loony Joons: Kung fu keeper can't take all the blame for the battle...
- 08:25 England bowlers toil on final warm-up day ahead of first Ashes Test...
- 08:24 Kezia Dugdale to appear on ‘I’m a Celebrity’
- 08:24 'Shame the low life scum': Watch Police car smashed with hammer
- 08:23 Manchester City team news for Leicester game will be a big pointer...
- 08:23 How Manchester United should line up vs Newcastle
- 08:20 Charity banks on generous help from Pat and her colleagues
- 08:11 Kirklees council leader confirms he will step down in 2019
- 08:10 Christmas events across Cumbria - take a look at our definitive guide
- 08:10 School funding campaigners hit streets in Cumbria today
- 08:09 EU and me: writers reminisce on their relationship with Europe
- 08:09 WEEKEND WEB: Free Press letters
- 08:08 Kim Kardashian’s surrogate didn’t know she was carrying Kimye’s baby
- 08:08 Wallsend charity planning its Christmas events
- 08:07 Cycling charity wants visitors to join the ride at the Piece Hall
- 08:07 Watch out drivers - mobile speed cameras can catch you out for more...
- 08:07 The £1m club: Homes you could get for a million in the North East...
- 08:07 Durham businesswoman hoping to raise £50,000 to take on B&M over...
- 08:05 Kenilworth-based screenwriter backs Observer campaign
- 08:05 Turnaround in fortunes wins praise for Carlisle primary school
- 08:04 10 ways to cope with depression fatigue
- 07:59 First look at Serena Williams’ gorgeous wedding dress – and baby...
- 07:58 What the Queen ate when she came to Hull