Holland and Argentina both face the possibility of missing out on the World Cup... so where has it gone wrong and what do they need to qualify?
This week sees the return of World Cup qualifiers but two of the most prestigious names in global football face an anxious few months with qualification hopes on the line.
Holland, who failed to reach Euro 2016, are in danger of missing a second successive major tournament while two-time winners Argentina could also be absent from the competition in Russia.
The 2018 World Cup marks 40 years since the two football powerhouses reached the final in Buenos Aires, but could we really be about to be without both come next summer's showpiece? Sportsmail assesses the state of play.
RELATED... read more
- 18:00 Carabao Cup final: Arsenal fans rushing out of Wembley with 25...
- 18:00 Samsung Galaxy S9 focuses on the camera
- 17:58 Antonio Conte: Chelsea boss admits Man Utd manager Jose Mourinho...
- 17:57 Electric Dreams cast: Who stars in Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams?
- 17:56 Katie Price ‘plans huge revenge for Kieran Hayler’ after nanny affair
- 17:56 Chelsea fans were trolling Man Utd over something controversial...
- 17:56 Antonio Conte back on collision course with Chelsea board after...
- 17:55 Ridding team of ‘losing mentality’ says Horn
- 17:55 Rangers hold league leaders Montrose to a deserved draw
- 17:55 Harrow, Wooler and Newbiggin win through to NNL semi-finals
- 17:55 Woffinden wows fans with his frank and honest opinions
- 17:55 Shkodran Mustafi blasted for 'pathetic defending' by former boss...
- 17:55 Dele Alli is an 'easy target' for critics, claims Mauricio...
- 17:55 Moby - Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt album review
- 17:55 Avengers Infinity War runtime REVEALED: Is it the LONGEST Marvel...
- 17:55 WEEKEND WEB: Spalding war memorial plan proposed
- 17:52 British skier dies after falling from ‘cliff’ in the French Alps
- 17:52 Met Office upgrades snow warning for North East
- 17:49 NRA and Donald Trump appear to part ways over raising age to buy rifle
- 17:49 Londoners at greater risk of crime as Met budgets tighten
- 17:48 Florida shooting: school threats spike 'significantly'
- 17:46 Brave Wigan dad on "long road to recovery" following heart transplant
- 17:45 Remote control hovercraft and robotics among the attractions at...
- 17:43 Eddie Amoo obituary
- 17:39 Jerusalem: Christianity's 'holiest site' closed in protest
- 17:36 Dog sitting company can guarantee your wedding has a ‘furry tail’...
- 17:36 Appeal as 'essential' Leeds domestic abuse service loses premises
- 17:35 Sir Paul McCartney wishes late Beatles star George Harrison a happy...
- 17:35 Samsung reveals Galaxy S9 and S9+ to rival iPhone X
- 17:35 Carabao Cup final 'SCRAP' kicks off between Arsenal boss Arsene...