HIV cure hope after virus ‘disappears’ from UK trial patient
A British HIV patient has shown “remarkable” progress after undergoing a new treatment to cure him of the fatal disease, experts have claimed.
Scientists treating the 44-year-old patient described the trial as “one of the first serious attempts at a full cure” for the virus, which affects more than 4,800 Scots.
The anonymous man is the first of 50 people to complete the trial, created by five British universities, using a ‘kick and kill’ approach to expose and destroy the virus.
Early tests showed there was no detectable HIV virus present in his blood, although the patient will have to wait... read more
- 17:51 Is Steve Trevor's return in Wonder Woman 2 just another absurd...
- 17:48 Profile: Dr Jane Barton, GP and the Gosport hospital scandal
- 17:48 Health chiefs to make case for further changes to hospital services...
- 17:46 Pride clothing made in countries where being gay is illegal
- 17:46 Health chiefs to make case for further changes to hospital services...
- 17:46 WWII bomb taken to York shop sparks alert
- 17:46 Appeal to find 'silly' 1989 Addenbrooke's cancer nurse Debbie
- 17:46 Woodford student admits killing teenage sister in crash
- 17:45 Ancient 'Saxon road' discovered under Victoria Square in Birmingham...
- 17:45 Yobs steal golf buggy, crash it and cause THOUSANDS of pounds worth...
- 17:45 Burger King sorry for Whopper offer to women who get pregnant by...
- 17:43 Man loves his job so much he got his company logo tattooed on...
- 17:42 How Senegal's coach Aliou Cisse became a meme
- 17:41 Pokemon Go player, 71, ‘beat up man who accused him of cheating’
- 17:40 Private emails show DfT contempt for rail users, says MP
- 17:40 Leading author at World Cup themed event nets great result
- 17:39 Burger King continues quest for Peace Day burger after McWhopper...
- 17:39 BBQs at the ready: Iceland is now selling pigs in blankets kebabs
- 17:38 Dad and daughter's incredible transformation after losing 23 stone...
- 17:36 Donald Trump will meet the Queen during UK visit
- 17:35 Caroline Verdon: Who has time to be a perfect ‘Pinterest mum’?
- 17:35 Leeds rush hour bicycle ride for Clean Air Day
- 17:34 Liverpool chief offers huge update on Anfield redevelopment
- 17:33 'Calamity of utter failures' on Northern network slammed by...
- 17:33 Search for lost daughter named in will
- 17:33 Wasps, Bath, Toulouse and Leinster in Heineken Champions Cup pool...
- 17:33 Remains of “ancient wolf” found in Highland peat bog
- 17:33 Glasgow unveils 4000-strong volunteer team for 2018 Euro Championships
- 17:30 Burger King sorry for Whopper offer to women who get pregnant by...
- 17:30 Heroin dealer's 'soft' sentence increased