HIV cure hope after virus ‘disappears’ from UK trial patient
A British HIV patient has shown “remarkable” progress after undergoing a new treatment to cure him of the fatal disease, experts have claimed.
Scientists treating the 44-year-old patient described the trial as “one of the first serious attempts at a full cure” for the virus, which affects more than 4,800 Scots.
The anonymous man is the first of 50 people to complete the trial, created by five British universities, using a ‘kick and kill’ approach to expose and destroy the virus.
Early tests showed there was no detectable HIV virus present in his blood, although the patient will have to wait... read more
- 11:33 Jurgen Klopp confirms the one Liverpool player he would sell in...
- 11:33 Kerching! Lincoln Christmas Market's boost to city's small traders
- 11:33 Liverpool legend: I would have succeeded Sir Alex Ferguson as...
- 11:33 Dad donates dead son's unopened Christmas presents to sick children...
- 11:33 Dangers of the diet pills sold on the High Street: Experts warn...
- 11:32 Water shock! River clean-up nets a big haul
- 11:32 Organisers hoping for big turn-out at Xmas Market
- 11:30 BREAKING: Explosion tears through China leaving many feared dead
- 11:29 Stowaway migrants found crushed under trucks in Austria
- 11:29 Manchester City vs Chelsea, Premier League LIVE: Follow all the...
- 11:29 Yobs wreck blood biker’s Triumph Tiger
- 11:27 Key man exit may pave way for Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard to...
- 11:27 Jamie Carragher: This Liverpool ace has to be realistic about his...
- 11:27 Manchester City v Chelsea: LIVE Premier League scores and updates...
- 11:24 Stourbridge FC count down clock to huge FA Cup clash
- 11:20 Retirement village gets in the festive spirit
- 11:20 Conor McGregor insists Floyd Mayweather called him first saying...
- 11:19 Drivers warned about thieves using key lock jammers at M-way services
- 11:19 Nazi PoW leaves £400,000 to 'kind' Scottish village
- 11:19 Mother jailed for beating up daughter, 17, when she caught her...
- 11:19 Plucky turkey won’t be caught for Christmas
- 11:18 Sponsor supports club’s league goals
- 11:18 Planned roadworks on A1 and A19 in Northumberland and North Tyneside
- 11:18 Man taken to hospital after car hits tree
- 11:17 China's Xi says military must be smaller, but more capable
- 11:16 Dry January: 7 things you realise when you give up the booze
- 11:15 Louis van Gaal is much stricter than Jose Mourinho, says Manchester...
- 11:15 Video: Full route for 2017 Tour de Yorkshire cycle race
- 11:10 ‘It was worth the 6,000 miles to get a free beer’
- 11:10 East Midlands Trains fares to rise in the new year - but less than...