Historian hails legendary shinty team who marched off to face hell during World War One
THEY fought bravely on the shinty field that day and they went on to do the same on the battlefields of France during World War I.
Posing triumphantly after their 6-1 victory over Kyles Athletic in the 1914 Camanachd Cup Final, these Kingussie players were unaware that for some it would be the last time they would wield a shinty stick, known as a caman.
The Great War began just a few months later and, by the end of that terrible conflict, six of the team were dead, two had been shot and wounded and one had been gassed. Kingussie captain William McGillivray was killed in May 1915 at... read more
- 18:36 Last drinks for Sheffield's Holme Lea pub
- 18:36 Pick up your rubbish, frustrated Parson Cross resident urges
- 18:36 Body found in South Yorkshire park
- 18:36 Chelsea player ratings: Diego Costa is back, but was he man of the...
- 18:33 Transfer News: Man Utd £26m swoop, Arsenal scout Portugal star,...
- 18:33 Chelsea 2 - Hull 0: Costa strikes on return to help Conte's men...
- 18:33 Chelsea player ratings: Diego Costa redeems himself but which Blues...
- 18:33 Big Brother’s eye on the health service
- 18:30 Pigeon show celebrates 40 years in resort
- 18:27 Arsenal ace opens up on Burnley victory: This is what we had to do
- 18:27 Former Colne Valley MP Sir Patrick Duffy to receive a papal knighthood
- 18:25 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Wyberton school hosts Ugandan children’s choir
- 18:24 Theresa May is preparing to lose battle at Supreme Court
- 18:24 Arsenal 2 Burnley 1: Alexis Sanchez saves Gunners with last-gasp...
- 18:24 Stars appear at Trainspotting sequel premiere
- 18:22 Rhyl soldier blown up by Taliban in Afghanistan tells of how golf...
- 18:22 Diego Costa’s popularity among the Chelsea squad revealed by...
- 18:20 Mahe Fonua says sorry to Hull FC fans after indifferent second-half
- 18:20 Hull City's Ryan Mason taken to hospital after head injury at Chelsea
- 18:19 Chile forest fires: Troops join fight against worst fires in decades
- 18:19 FEATURE: Chimney fire safety advice
- 18:17 Ever fancied being a landlord? Now is your chance with these pubs...
- 18:16 From record profits to restaurant grants...five business stories...
- 18:15 Arsenal send staff to collect information on Euro 2016 winner:...
- 18:15 Brian Neville obituary
- 18:14 Bidding is open to land £2.75bn contract for HS2's 225mph trains
- 18:12 Yassar Yaqub shooting: Lead investigator meets his family
- 18:12 The Chase’s Paul ‘Sinnerman’ Sinha fulfils all students dreams...
- 18:09 Wall St Week Ahead-Optimism among S&P 500 CEOs as Trump takes power
- 18:09 The Slow and the Furious - gang targeted small hatchbacks in...