Hiding in plain site: Norman castle found to have been built on top of mysterious 2,500-year-old mound
Rising up from the rolling Yorkshire landscape, it is an unusual hill thought to have been built by the Norman conquerors as they tried to subdue England after the Battle of Hastings.
For centuries, archaeologists believed the 42-feet high mound was the remains of a motte and bailey-style castle built in the wake of the battle in 1066.
But a new study has revealed it may in fact be a gigantic man-made mound that dates to more than 1,500 years before William the Conqueror swept across England.
WHAT WAS THE MOUND FOR The exact purpose of large mounds like the one at Silbury Hill and Skipsea... read more
- 08:23 Teenage girl left bruised after attempted robbery in Doncaster
- 08:22 Six-storey staff car park approved for Lancaster hospital
- 08:22 Ninja star confiscated from High Peak children
- 08:22 Crash blocks one lane of A50 causing delays
- 08:22 Alarm over decline in flying insects
- 08:21 Sellafield firefighters on strike again today
- 08:20 Man Utd angry at Jose Mourinho and consider replacing him with Luis...
- 08:20 Meet Britain's shortest servicewoman - and she's from Lincolnshire
- 08:20 Arsenal news LIVE updates: Keane blast, Chambers injury blow,...
- 08:19 Granville Academy, in Woodville, closed for rest of week after...
- 08:18 Huge 75-tonne delivery to Hull will cause massive delays on roads
- 08:18 Bingo! Leeds jobs bonanza just the tonic
- 08:16 Inquest into Cumbrian mum's death hears of further hospital errors
- 08:16 Arsenal are behind ‘most teams in the Premier League’, claims...
- 08:16 BBC Breakfast: Naga Munchetty DEMANDS answers in heated Brexit...
- 08:15 Barcelona join the race to sign Tottenham star Harry Kane
- 08:13 You’re going to be obsessed with this Instagram dedicated to...
- 08:13 Country glory in the glens
- 08:11 Plucky Blackpool hotelier uses Google to catch burglar
- 08:11 Mum-of-two fights back from breast cancer at age of 30
- 08:11 Here's how schools are supporting transgender and non-binary pupils
- 08:11 Pervert who lives near three Whitley Bay schools caught with...
- 08:11 Meet the Newcastle couple who quit their jobs to play poker
- 08:11 Is Mersey Gateway bridge "milking the motorist" or "technology at...
- 08:10 Just one yoga class and one jogging session a week can HALF your...
- 08:10 One in five women who use sunbeds are 'tanorexics' - and it is most...
- 08:10 Forget 10,000 steps! Walking anywhere - even for five minutes -...
- 08:09 Owner of Suzanne's Skin Specialist reassures customers after...
- 08:06 Teenage girl left bruised after attempted robbery in Doncaster
- 08:06 Motorcyclist collides with van in Lancaster