Here’s how to stop Facebook reading all your Messenger chats
Here’s the good news: Facebook has enabled end-to-end encryption on its Messenger app – meaning that no one, at all, can read your messages.
So even if, for instance, the police ask Facebook to have a quick peek at yours, they actually can’t.
The messages are encrypted on your device, and only decrypted on your friend’s – so Facebook can’t hand them over to the cops, or to advertisers, even if they wanted to.
MORE: Facebook says sorry after guns, drugs and hedgehogs go on sale on Marketplace But the bad news is that it’s not particularly obvious how to enable it: you need to pick a menu... read more
- 11:02 New patrol service introduced by Fylde Council for great outdoors
- 11:02 Wigan neighbours scoop £60,000 on postcode lottery
- 11:02 Doncaster communities gear up for Yorkshire cycle fest
- 11:01 New build homes can save Doncaster homeowners £629 per year on...
- 11:01 NHS Tayside crisis: leadership set-up is ‘high risk’
- 11:00 Leader pays tribute after death of Lichfield councillor
- 11:00 Loyal Paul rewarded for two decades of service
- 11:00 SPECIAL REPORT: Cash-strapped Northamptonshire County Council paid...
- 11:00 Have your say on the future of Northamptonshire's children's centre...
- 10:59 Temperatures could reach 28C in parts of UK
- 10:58 Countdown on for big St George’s Day bash in Lytham
- 10:58 A Word In Your Ear - April 19, 2018
- 10:58 Rugby league finally has a national women’s competition to celebrate
- 10:58 The Thing Is with Steve Canavan
- 10:58 How to succeed at work, according to Elon Musk: Billionaire reveals...
- 10:58 Terrifying moment gangster blasts a sawn-off shotgun at a house in...
- 10:58 Liverpool expected XI: Jurgen Klopp to make changes to his 4-3-3 to...
- 10:57 Gwyneth Paltrow swaps engagement ring for band engraved with Brad...
- 10:56 Police appeal after two burglaries in Horncastle area
- 10:56 Coventry City find site for new training ground - but it's still a...
- 10:56 Anger over rail delays lead to calls for clarity as bosses slam...
- 10:56 Grantham car racing club seeks fresh farmland race track
- 10:56 Four SKDC bosses earn more than £100,000
- 10:55 Buchanan calls for repeat of title-winning spirit, and says ‘this...
- 10:55 Ikea's TaskRabbit app back online after data breach
- 10:55 TalkTalk and Vodafone top complaints chart again
- 10:55 Tradesman appeals for £5k of power tools stolen from locked van in...
- 10:54 Eden Project plans for Morecambe dome site
- 10:54 Anger over rail delays lead to calls for clarity as bosses slam...
- 10:54 Police to investigate Dale Winton’s ‘unexplained’ death