HEART WARNING: One in every hundred healthy people could carry faulty gene
Researchers at Imperial College London and the MRC Clinical Sciences Centre found one per cent of the population was at risk from heart failure when the organ was placed under abnormal stress - such as through pregnancy or alcoholism - even if they appear otherwise healthy.
The study, published in the journal Nature Genetics on Monday, involved looking at rats with a faulty version of a gene called titin.
They found that although the rats appeared healthy, placing abnormal stress on the heart triggered a rare heart muscle condition called dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM), which causes heart... read more
- 05:42 Worrying stats show Birmingham hospital waiting lists at highest...
- 05:41 Lionel Messi: Argentina manager issues urgent message to fans
- 05:40 How old are Prince William, Kate Middleton, Prince Harry and...
- 05:39 Upskirting bill to be introduced by the government
- 05:37 Awaiting the dawn at Stonehenge: midnight parties - archive, 1928
- 05:35 McLaren make huge offer for 'king of the market' Daniel Ricciardo –...
- 05:31 Alder Hey rated 'outstandingly' caring in most recent inspection...
- 05:31 Brave police officers risked their lives to stop man falling from...
- 05:25 If your children have these names you can get into Legoland Windsor...
- 05:24 From Stonehenge to Iceland's Arctic Henge, by motorbike – photo essay
- 05:21 Birmingham Post Business Awards sponsors enjoy Belfry breakfast
- 05:21 'I trust him': Minnesota crowd split on immigration but refuse to...
- 05:16 Oldest Homo sapiens bones ever found shake foundations of the human...
- 05:15 England’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek wants bigger Chelsea role or may leave
- 05:07 'Let the adventure begin!' - What you had to say about the high...
- 05:07 Shocking pictures show the horrific places where homeless people...
- 04:43 Absolute Bowie celebrates the life of David Bowie at Burton's...
- 04:39 The Grimsby taxi drivers who have become unlikely icons of...
- 04:36 Jacinda Ardern #babywatch sends New Zealand media gaga
- 04:34 Hull man hacks victim's emails and calls them 90 times a day
- 04:34 Heart Awards 2018: How to nominate your unsung hero
- 04:27 Charlottesville organiser plans Washington DC rally
- 04:16 Tesco 'planning' discount chain to take on Aldi and Lidl
- 04:06 In pictures: Isle of Wight Festival at 50
- 04:06 Ed Sheeran: Travel and ticket warning for Cardiff concerts
- 04:06 Family's £15k debt from fight against Section 322(5) immigration rule
- 04:03 National Enquirer publisher subpoenaed in Michael Cohen inquiry
- 03:42 Research backs English as key to development
- 03:38 Trump at rally: family separation outcry is a distraction by Democrats
- 03:28 Sex, drugs and A&E: 10 charts on how the under-30s use the NHS