HEART WARNING: One in every hundred healthy people could carry faulty gene
Researchers at Imperial College London and the MRC Clinical Sciences Centre found one per cent of the population was at risk from heart failure when the organ was placed under abnormal stress - such as through pregnancy or alcoholism - even if they appear otherwise healthy.
The study, published in the journal Nature Genetics on Monday, involved looking at rats with a faulty version of a gene called titin.
They found that although the rats appeared healthy, placing abnormal stress on the heart triggered a rare heart muscle condition called dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM), which causes heart... read more
- 00:10 MRIs could ‘change equation’ for prostate cancer screening
- 00:08 How former Leeds sewage works turned into a top retail spot for...
- 00:08 England U19 3-0 Spain U19: Trent Alexander-Arnold scores brace to...
- 00:08 RFU chiefs planning big change for the Six Nations but players...
- 00:08 Man United star David De Gea: This is the best thing about Jose...
- 00:06 REVEALED: These are the 10 CHEAPEST European city breaks for UK...
- 00:06 Will Brexit hinder Yorkshire’s efforts to tackle human trafficking?
- 00:05 Glasgow and Edinburgh worst offenders in food hygiene standards
- 00:05 Scots teachers subject to ‘vicious’ online abuse from parents
- 00:00 Smalling knock gives Gibson first England call
- 00:00 Essential essence of Loud Women in twenty-one terrific tracks
- 00:00 Searching for unity, home and abroad
- 00:00 Facing up to capitalist realities
- 00:00 City fined €18k for Champions League offences
- 00:00 Hockey chiefs turn to knobstick team
- 00:00 A new dawn after all this wait?
- 00:00 Gutenberg’s dubious legacy
- 00:00 The passing of Martin McGuinness
- 00:00 Martin McGuinness: The man and the contradiction
- 00:00 Solidarity with Venezuela
- 00:00 Ireland: Communists pay tribute to McGuinness
- 00:00 Brazil: Attorney-general calls for wider corruption probe
- 00:00 US: Nunes agrees to answer committee
- 00:00 Measly 1% NHS pay offer angers union
- 00:00 Scotland: Anti-racists to protest against neonazi march
- 00:01 Danny Houghton and Jake Connor injury updates after Hull FC beat...
- 00:00 1 million car industry jobs at risk
- 23:59 Lewis Hamilton scorches but F1 is crying out for a Ferrari revival...
- 23:59 England yobs in the dock over Martin McGuinness chant as footage...
- 23:59 Eric Dier reveals his relief after anxious phone call to his mum in...