Healthy women should take breast cancer pill, says NICE
Hundreds of thousands of healthy women should take pills to cut their risk of breast cancer, says NHS watchdog NICE.
The draft guidelines for England say women predisposed to breast cancer because of a strong family history of the disease need this protection.
There are now three drugs to choose from - tamoxifen, raloxifene and, for the first time, anastrozole.
Anastrozole is cheaper than the other two and, for some women, has fewer side-effects and is more effective.
Which one is best? Trials show that per 1,000 patients taking anastrozole for five years, 35 cancer cases would be prevented... read more
- 16:14 Mosque linked to ISIS Jihadi terror forced to install CCTV to...
- 16:14 Lakes hotel unveils £250k bedrooms revamp
- 16:14 South Cumbria pupils experience life as college students
- 16:14 Sports brand stays one step ahead with world first in footwear
- 16:14 Fire crews tackle blaze at Co-operative supermarket in Norton
- 16:14 40 cameras and the 'same people over and over': The battle against...
- 16:14 Ryanair pilots set to strike five days before Christmas
- 16:13 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Alexandra Burke issued APOLOGY over...
- 16:13 Toto Wolff sets Valtteri Bottas task of overtaking F1 champion...
- 16:13 Motorway blocked after crash between two lorries and a car
- 16:13 Llandyrnog cheese plants defeats ice and snow to take delivery of...
- 16:13 Teams worked through the night
- 16:12 New deal secures future of Bakewell’s Agricultural Business Centre
- 16:12 The festive foods you can and can't feed your dogs and cats
- 16:12 Which supermarket is the cheapest Aldi or Lidl?
- 16:12 A great year for Building Bridges in Burnley
- 16:12 West Ham v Arsenal: Drop Alexis Sanchez and give Olivier Giroud and...
- 16:12 Marcos Rojo reveals gruesome head wound after Manchester United’s...
- 16:11 Arriva bus strike vote tonight: Facebook debate rages
- 16:11 Mum almost FIVE TIMES the drink drive limit drove on M62 with...
- 16:11 Toni Kroos urged to join Manchester United FC after tweet
- 16:11 Glenfield team saved life of baby with heart outside her body
- 16:10 Woman finds ‘pain in the ass’ written on her receipt
- 16:10 Enjoy a stroll in the Notts countryside? Footpath bosses want your...
- 16:09 When is Mad Friday 2017 and what's on in Birmingham's bars and clubs?
- 16:09 Rescheduled dates for rubbish and recycling collections following...
- 16:09 Bear Grylls Adventure new NEC attraction includes biggest high rope...
- 16:09 Man airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after M180 crash
- 16:09 Nutella flavoured Oreos are perfect for dunking into hot chocolate...
- 16:07 What Pep Guardiola told his Man City players after Man Utd derby...