Healthcare innovations won’t cure global health inequality – political action will
The science fiction author William Gibson famously quipped the future is here, it’s just not evenly distributed. There is arguably no greater manifestation of our uneven world than that of healthcare. In the wealthiest countries, thousands of people in their 60s and 70s are kept alive with cardiac pacemakers that are remotely monitored over the internet, and adjusted by algorithms with no human intervention. In poorer states, three-quarters of a million children under five are dying each year because of shit in their water.
What can explain such unevenness, and what might be done about it?... read more
- 09:57 Bob Arum: Conor McGregor would be beaten up by a novice boxer
- 09:57 Woman, 29, assaulted at Doncaster beauty spot
- 09:56 'Who's that watching my telly' jilted partner yells through letterbox
- 09:56 Comedy star Mark Watson to headline at Melton Theatre for LOROS...
- 09:56 Man seriously injured after accident in Wolvey
- 09:56 Controversial holiday-let plan back on table
- 09:56 New WI group sets up in Grantham
- 09:55 Watchdog fines EE £2.7m for overcharging 40,000 mobile phone customers
- 09:55 Woman, 29, assaulted at Doncaster beauty spot
- 09:55 Warning after distraction burglaries in Skegness
- 09:54 Mine guide relives horror telling Princess Diana not to BOMB...
- 09:54 How is Edward Snowden linked to Chelsea Manning?
- 09:54 Donald Trump made LAUGHING STOCK at Davos by John Kerry in spiteful...
- 09:54 BREAKING: Strong earthquake strikes Rome measuring 5.4 magnitude
- 09:54 Ryder Cup 2018: European Tour send major warning to players overseas
- 09:53 1,000 tourists evacuated from package holiday destination amid unrest
- 09:52 VIDEO: Electricity pylon catches fire beside Yorkshire road
- 09:52 Cloudy and mainly dry with light winds
- 09:52 Paul Pogba names Manchester United transfer target as his hero
- 09:51 Naked female cleaners wanted to clean houses totally nude for £45...
- 09:51 Man asks club to bar his girlfriend’s dad so he can chat up...
- 09:51 District council out against private policing for Selston
- 09:51 YP Comment: The key to loneliness struggle
- 09:51 Nuisance calls: Five things you wanted to know
- 09:51 Cleaner who stole £4,000 from dementia sufferer is spared from jail
- 09:50 Why plan to axe all Birmingham park keepers has been changed
- 09:50 Avian flu found in second 6,000 bird strong flock of turkeys in...
- 09:50 For drummer of The Smiths and The Fall to give pub Q&A
- 09:50 Theresa May faces MP grilling over Brexit plans after confirming UK...
- 09:50 Cloudy and mainly dry with light winds