News from Health
Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include a dull ache in the hand or forearm, which can sometimes spread to the upper arm, a sensation in the hand which feels similar to pins and needles. Other symptoms also include dry skin, swelling or changes in the
Government guidelines have, for some years, held that eating five portions of fruit and vegetables a day is what we should all be aiming for. That’s an achievable target for many, if not most, of us. Some days it might be felt in the purse, to make sure
Ignore your bad back at your own risk. Despite being a common problem across the world, scientists warn it could have grave consequences. New research suggests that sufferers are actually 13 per cent more likely to die early from any cause. And the fin
The baby with a head TWICE the size of normal: Build-up of fluid inside girl's skull threatens her life -...
A baby girl suffers from a rare condition which has caused her head to more than double in size. Jaya Dalvi, four months, was born with hydrocephalus - a build-up of fluid inside her skull which could kill her. It means her head was larger than average w
Stressed at work? It could be making you FAT: Those exposed to long-term pressure reach out for comfort...
Long term stress may make you obese, scientists warn. Those exposed to several months of work pressure weigh more than their relaxed colleagues, a study suggests. Having high levels of cortisol - dubbed the stress hormone - causes people to reach out fo
The proportion who call NHS 111 and are transferred to ambulances has "crept up", according to a new report from the Nuffield Trust think tank. However, researchers concluded the phone line had also prevented millions from seeking emergency...
Two-thirds of nurses from across the UK felt they were not given sufficient time to care for those nearing the end of their lives, it found. The poll of almost 1,000 nurses and healthcare assistants, conducted by Nursing Standard and Marie Curie, also i
Researchers at University College London (UCL) measured the cognitive ability of more than 11,000 Europeans aged 65 and over from 10 countries. Participants' ability to use their memory was tested when they entered the study, with the result known as th
Don't ignore the signs of a breakdown. Lack of sleep, difficulty making decisions and choosing to not see your friends are all common signs. And Sally Brown, a Bedford-based registered therapist, says these symptoms should immediately send alarm bells r
The wife who refuses to give up on her 'elephant man' husband: His bones keep mutating and will eventually...
A woman married to a sufferer of the fatal 'elephant man' condition says the disease doesn't scare her. Angie Richards, 34, first met Brian, 33, whose bones and organs won't stop growing, on an online dating website seven years ago. He has Proteus syndro
The ambulance pulled in but unusually the crew came into the hospital alone. They informed us that a high risk mental health patient was on their way to the department, and was being accompanied by the police. This set alarm bells in my head. I qualified
A study suggests that average life expectancy will soon exceed 90 for the first time. Women born in South Korea in 2030 are forecast to have a life expectancy of 90, with other developed countries not far behind. France is second in the league table for
Forget five-a-day, scientists have said getting 10 portions of fruit and vegetables is an even better way of lowering your chance of heart disease, stroke, cancer and premature death. Forget five a day, eat 10 portions of fruit and veg to cut risk of ear
Traffic pollution, uncollected rubbish and messy homes are all having a harmful effect on the nose, says Dr Kara Hoover, an expert in olfactory evolution. Having an impaired sense of smell increases the risk of mental problems such as anxiety and depres
The symptoms are not always obvious, and many people could be suffering with the condition for years before they learn they have it. Every week 4,500 people are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes across the UK. However, experts warn thousands could be living
- 14:20 WATCH: Storm Doris causes chaos across Burton and South Derbyshire
- 14:18 Arsenal star has been a major disappointment this season - Didi Hamann
- 14:17 High Peak councillors approve 1.9% council tax hike
- 14:17 Nicola Sturgeon's 'heart breaks' for Paige Doherty's family after...
- 14:16 Coronation Street: Is Michelle Connor about to STEAL Leanne...
- 14:15 Sixty schools still lack a defibrillator
- 14:15 Amazon Prime imam 'stopped in the street for selfies'
- 14:15 Jury told girl 'lured' Tuohy
- 14:15 Hairdryers used to strike blow against speeders in Hopeman
- 14:15 Good Samaritans thanked
- 14:15 Date set for second inquest into suspicious death of Cumbrian baby
- 14:15 Chemo didn't stop Jo tackling challenge list
- 14:15 WATCH: Burton Albion vs Blackburn Rovers result predicted by...
- 14:14 Pictured: Diego Costa in Chelsea training ground ‘scrap’, David...
- 14:12 Arsenal FC lie in wait for former Lambs star Habergham
- 14:11 Jose Mourinho wants Casemiro at Manchester United
- 14:11 Pep Guardiola eyed Kylian Mbappe last summer - are Man City set to...
- 14:11 Manchester United legend Eric Cantona reveals his best ever team mate
- 14:10 Discover storybook characters at trail
- 14:10 ‘Radical’ new vision for Lancashire’s public sector
- 14:10 Global stocks near highs, dollar drifts after Fed see hike 'fairly...
- 14:10 Most popular Championship matches: Which teams attracted most TV...
- 14:09 Mercedes boss Toto Wolff: How Lewis Hamilton has reacted to the...
- 14:07 Massive tree smashes sheds and fences in Eyres Monsell
- 14:06 Burglar struggles with homeowner
- 14:06 All aboard the Second City Crossing
- 14:06 New planets that could host alien life discovered with help of...
- 14:05 UCLan team helps to find new planets
- 14:05 Police warn people to ‘stay off roads’ as Storm Doris hits
- 14:05 Numbness and tingling in the hands could be THIS common syndrome -...