HEALTH WARNING: Britain facing osteoporosis crisis as MILLIONS of cases 'go undiagnosed
The study suggests fewer than half of pensioners who survive a hip fracture will walk unaided again, while up to 20 per cent will become residents of care homes in the year after the fracture.
About 80 per cent of those who have already suffered a broken bone owing to osteoporosis remain unprotected against the risk of further disabling fractures, it is claimed.
Osteoporosis is a condition in which bones become fragile from loss of tissue, typically as a result of hormonal changes, or a deficiency in calcium or vitamin D.
The report was completed by the International Osteoporosis... read more
- 00:14 Many countries ‘stricter on game hunting rules’ than Scotland
- 00:13 Inverness 2-1 Rangers: Bad to worse for Graeme Murty as Billy...
- 00:13 Wales foot soldier Sam Warburton has rediscovered his mojo thanks...
- 00:12 Feminist issues that won’t go away
- 00:12 Arts ahead: February 25 2017
- 00:12 On Distras, Drewett, Seagulls and myself
- 00:12 Man U’s Rostov tie ‘bad in every aspect’ – Jose
- 00:12 FOXES FANS BLAST ‘SHAMEFUL’ SACKING
- 00:12 A fitting send-off for England’s greatest, Kelly Smith
- 00:12 Look beyond Trump’s populist razzmatazz
- 00:12 Soldiers go on trial over coup plot
- 00:12 DUP admits funding was from Constitutional Research Council
- 00:12 Austerity is near an end, Tsipras claims after EU debt deal
- 00:12 Arcadia staff give bosses a dressing down
- 00:11 Music review: Julian Cope
- 00:12 MPs pass anti-rape Bill despite ‘villainous’ Tory’s whining
- 00:11 Music review: The Pet Shop Boys
- 00:12 Union fears Argos move will depress wages
- 00:11 Music review: Pelleas & Melisande
- 00:12 Former St Mirren Paul McKnight calls on Saints to turn the clock...
- 00:12 Crowd left baffled as Cambuslang boxer loses out to controversial...
- 00:11 Film/Music review: Lost in France
- 00:11 Theatre review: Pink Mist, Last Tango in Partick, The Curious...
- 00:11 Mum’s the Word:
- 00:11 MP tackles football's breastfeeding taboo
- 00:11 Film review: Demons; David Lynch: The Art Life; Their Finest
- 00:11 Scottish Labour's Dugdale pledges to work 'tirelessly' for union
- 00:08 Robbie Henshaw and Garry Ringrose must ignore hype, says Gordon...
- 00:07 David Moyes speaks out on Manchester United transfer: Player would...
- 00:07 North-north divide: York and Bradford in a tale of two cities