Health alert as 1.6m children start secondary school overweight
More than 1.6 million children who started secondary school in the past decade were overweight or obese, new calculations show.
Between 2006/07 and 2014/15, there were 1,654,894 children in England who started Year 7 with an unhealthy weight, according to Cancer Research UK.
The alarming figure foretells a future of ill-health for the nation, the charity says.
It added that obese children were about five times more likely to become obese adults.
The charity has called on the Government to press ahead with measures set out in its Childhood Obesity Plan, which was published in the summer.... read more
- 14:14 WATCH: International Marshall demonstrator Steve Smith visits...
- 14:13 Carlisle floods victim turned drug dealer after losing everything
- 14:13 Radio 1 band provide soundtrack to University of Cumbria promotion
- 14:13 National Grid flogs a majority stake in its gas business to a team...
- 14:13 Straw wagon causes problems for Carlisle motorists
- 14:13 Opportunity for hospitals to help smokers quit
- 14:12 Alnmouth one-way system set to start
- 14:12 Operation Checkpoint chalks up another success
- 14:12 Opportunity for hospitals to help smokers quit
- 14:11 Mansfield drug man fined
- 14:11 Greg Lake dies at 69: One of his last interviews 'ELP were never...
- 14:11 Fine for Eastwood man who stole groceries from Sainsburys
- 14:11 Help for Mansfield woman with 20-year drug habit
- 14:11 Amphetamine diet man lost 5 stones before arrest in Retford
- 14:11 Man charged with phone possession in HMP Ranby
- 14:11 Futures flat ahead of ECB rate decision
- 14:10 FEATURE: New station will be gateway to Doncaster's future
- 14:10 New lease deal saves Lancaster children’s centre
- 14:10 Tom Heaton set to return for Burnley’s clash with Bournemouth
- 14:10 Boston and Skegness MP backs Government plans for Brexit
- 14:10 Your dazzling Christmas trees - Pictures
- 14:10 British Steel pension scheme proposals welcomed by trustees
- 14:09 Property: Mini estate with old mill on the market in Borders
- 14:08 Man jailed for 14 years for series of sexual assaults and rapes of...
- 14:08 Anarchist group claims it was behind massive flood in Angel
- 14:08 David Seaman: Why Arsenal can beat Chelsea to the Premier League title
- 14:07 Child car seats recalled
- 14:07 Mansfield drug man fined
- 14:07 Fine for Eastwood man who stole groceries from Sainsburys
- 14:07 Amphetamine diet man lost 5 stones before arrest in Retford