Health alert as 1.6m children start secondary school overweight
More than 1.6 million children who started secondary school in the past decade were overweight or obese, new calculations show.
Between 2006/07 and 2014/15, there were 1,654,894 children in England who started Year 7 with an unhealthy weight, according to Cancer Research UK.
The alarming figure foretells a future of ill-health for the nation, the charity says.
It added that obese children were about five times more likely to become obese adults.
The charity has called on the Government to press ahead with measures set out in its Childhood Obesity Plan, which was published in the summer.... read more
- 21:37 Tom Cruise sex shock: He 'juggled Bible study and bl** jobs' on set...
- 21:34 Police appeal for dash-cam footage after reported sex attack in Wirral
- 21:32 Jaylen Brown Exclusive: Boston Celtics fans will be excited about...
- 21:32 Alexis Sanchez will decide Arsenal future after 'break' - Lee Dixon
- 21:32 Mohamed Salah: Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp hails second summer signing
- 21:32 Roger Federer looking forward to Wimbledon showdown to challenge...
- 21:32 Liverpool confirm Roberto Firmino as new number nine: Club offers...
- 21:32 Rory McIlroy disappointed with missed putts but feeling optimistic...
- 21:31 Fears cliff may collapse a third time after giant crack appears...
- 21:31 Plans to close two Derby city centre car parks concerns drivers -...
- 21:27 Mohamed Salah to wear No.11 at Liverpool after completing £39m...
- 21:27 I’ll give county a determined and loud voice
- 21:27 Passengers face three more days of misery after new rail strike is...
- 21:25 Global stocks advance on modest oil bounce
- 21:25 U.S. voices concern about violence against monitors in east Ukraine
- 21:24 Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp delighted with Mohamed Salah transfer
- 21:22 Done Deal: Liverpool complete Mohamed Salah transfer
- 21:22 Tail docking row: could it cost Nicola Sturgeon votes?
- 21:22 What can the SNP teach Theresa May about minority government?
- 21:22 May offers EU nationals the right to stay after Brexit
- 21:19 Wall St. ends flat but healthcare stocks rally
- 21:18 US man 'gave Chinese agent secrets'
- 21:17 Fears for missing Thornliebank pensioner as police appeal for...
- 21:16 Chelsea striker Bertrand Traore on brink of move to Lyon for £16m
- 21:16 Germany 1-1 Chile: Alexis Sanchez becomes country's record goal...
- 21:14 EU citizens WILL be able to stay in the UK after Brexit
- 21:14 Fabinho to Man Utd: Monaco star admits he's tempted by Old Trafford...
- 21:10 Mohamed Salah targets silverware after completing Liverpool transfer
- 21:09 EastEnders spoiler: Michelle Fowler in DANGER as new man Tom’s...
- 21:08 Bank committee selects repo as Libor alternative for swaps