Hawking warns AI could be either the best or worst thing to happen to humanity
Professor Stephen Hawking has warned that artificial intelligence could develop a will of its own that is in conflict with that of humanity.
It could herald dangers like powerful autonomous weapons and ways for the few to oppress the many, he said, as he called for more research in the area.
But if sufficient research is done to avoid the risks, it could help in humanity's aims to "finally eradicate disease and poverty", he added.
He was speaking in Cambridge on Wednesday at the launch of The Leverhulme Centre for the Future of Intelligence, which will explore the implications of... read more
- 17:18 Funeral of Notts golf caddy to the stars to be held next month
- 17:18 10 city landlords fined nearly £30,000 as council cracks down
- 17:18 Emmerdale's Leah Bracknell left tearful as she says her cancer has...
- 17:18 Call The Midwife: FGM victim praises 'beautiful and sensitively...
- 17:18 Hundreds of jobs in doubt as Sainsbury's Stone warehouse to close
- 17:16 French jobless total rises marginally in January
- 17:16 SMTV: 7 things that MUST be in the anniversary special
- 17:15 Keith Wyness LIVE: Aston Villa CEO answers questions from supporters
- 17:15 Birmingham mum who killed her daughter allowed out into community
- 17:15 Warning as EXPLODING e-cigarette destroys bedroom at Black Country...
- 17:15 This Comic Relief trampoline sleepover is coming to Birmingham
- 17:15 See the dramatic moment a dog is rescued from sinkhole by firefighters
- 17:14 Jose Mourinho reacts to Manchester United Europa League draw with...
- 17:14 Lincolnshire pub given the 'all-clear' following rat claims
- 17:14 Boss praises firemen for saving his business from serious fire
- 17:14 Crunch! Watch as police seize and crush uninsured criminal's car
- 17:13 Air Cadets call for new members to join
- 17:12 Olathe shooting: India shocked after national killed in US
- 17:12 Should 'catfishing' be made illegal?
- 17:11 INTERVIEW: John Shuttleworth
- 17:11 Lincolnshire County Councillors agree to public consultation on...
- 17:11 How the brush strokes used by Van Gogh and Seurat were pioneered...
- 17:10 Mourinho on Rooney's decision to stay at Manchester United
- 17:10 RGC must continue to learn lessons says coach Phil John
- 17:10 Running advice from a professional: Olympic champion Desiree Henry
- 17:10 Europa League team of the week: Which Manchester United star made...
- 17:10 Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson engage in epic back and forth...
- 17:10 Jurgen Klopp reveals injury to Liverpool star in training: Two...
- 17:10 Andy Hinchcliffe predicts Championship promotion race: These four...
- 17:10 Chelsea plot Serie A raid: Blues keen on Lazio star, £21m fee...