Hawking warns AI could be either the best or worst thing to happen to humanity
Professor Stephen Hawking has warned that artificial intelligence could develop a will of its own that is in conflict with that of humanity.
It could herald dangers like powerful autonomous weapons and ways for the few to oppress the many, he said, as he called for more research in the area.
But if sufficient research is done to avoid the risks, it could help in humanity's aims to "finally eradicate disease and poverty", he added.
He was speaking in Cambridge on Wednesday at the launch of The Leverhulme Centre for the Future of Intelligence, which will explore the implications of... read more
- 08:37 New driving rules are coming into force TODAY - here's what you...
- 08:37 Events are springing up for all the family
- 08:37 Health officials to pass on expertise to help other trusts
- 08:37 On the move: Latest appointments and promotions
- 08:36 Dele Alli: Tottenham beating Chelsea was the best moment of the season
- 08:36 Lionel Messi: Did you see what Barcelona superstar did to wind up...
- 08:35 How to get two hours FREE parking in string of town centres
- 08:35 Transfer rumour: West Brom interested in Tottenham defender this...
- 08:34 Arsenal starting XI if only locals could play: This line-up is...
- 08:34 General Election 2017: Energy bill cap 'will hit consumers'
- 08:34 A19 at a standstill after seven vehicle crash
- 08:34 Rugby League LIVE - Hull FC stars set to be named in England squad,...
- 08:34 South Korea presidential candidate Ahn seeks to restart six-party...
- 08:33 No-one is safe from cyber criminals warns leading security expert
- 08:33 Fire crews called to fire at derelict building in Warwick
- 08:32 Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique in dressing room incident after...
- 08:32 Kylian Mbappe will be playing for this club next season - Monaco chief
- 08:32 Transfer News: £120m Chelsea spree, Alexis Sanchez claim, La Liga...
- 08:32 Lionel Messi scores 500th Barcelona goal as Real Madrid beaten in...
- 08:31 Watch world-famous Flying Scotsman celebrate past, present and...
- 08:31 A19 at a standstill after seven vehicle crash
- 08:31 Decision day for Birchwood Leisure Centre £1m revamp
- 08:30 No-one is safe from cyber criminals warns leading security expert
- 08:30 Calderdale students are shown the horrors of the Holocaust
- 08:30 Missing girl, 12, found
- 08:30 Emerging markets could help lift German engineering this year
- 08:30 Missing Halifax girl found safe and well
- 08:28 Nine people ordered out of Notts town centre by police
- 08:28 Drink-driver filmed driving down M6 with just THREE wheels and...
- 08:27 Slaven Bilic believes he found perfect formula to stop Romelu Lukaku