Harvest estimates for 2016 sow seeds of doubt
Confirmation that harvest 2016 will not go down as a vintage year came yesterday with the first estimates showing an 11 per cent drop in production, to 4 per cent lower than the ten-year average.
While there has been no single catastrophic weather condition responsible for the fall, there have been a series of less than ideal factors.
The provisional figures produced by Scotland’s chief statistician show Scottish farms are estimated to have produced 2.8 million tonnes of cereals this year – 1.6 million tonnes of barley, one million tonnes of wheat and the balance in oats.
The figures show... read more
- 00:32 Distraught wife set firm on fire
- 00:32 HEARTBREAK HOTEL
- 00:31 Budget 2017: Railcard extended for people aged up to 30
- 00:30 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 00:26 Rita Ora’s German TV prank backfires
- 00:25 Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne has got one hand on the PFA...
- 00:25 Scott Brown urges Scotland to appoint a new manager quickly as he...
- 00:21 Zlatan Ibrahimovic could have 'too much mentality' for Romelu...
- 00:21 Antoine Griezmann rules out January move as Barcelona and Real...
- 00:20 G4S orders independent inquiry into immigration centre staff
- 00:18 Police appeal to find missing Coventry football player
- 00:16 Chancellor Phillip Hammond offers cut-price rail fares in a bid to...
- 00:15 Star Wars 8 The Last Jedi LEAK: New descriptions reveal PLOT SPOILERS?
- 00:14 Conor McGregor: Oscar De La Hoya issues another challenge to UFC star
- 00:13 Peter Crouch makes record Premier League substitute appearance as...
- 00:13 Asos to launch its Same Day Delivery service in Leeds today
- 00:12 New health ALERT: Statins raise risk of diabetes by 30%
- 00:09 Root's men ready for Oz showdown
- 00:08 Pope Francis calls for police to show drivers 'mercy'
- 00:08 Budget: Philip Hammond makes pitch for the youth vote with student...
- 00:04 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Shirley Ballas SLAMMED by relative -...
- 00:03 Jamie Bhatti escapes from the abattoir and the police to...
- 00:03 “Terrific” newcomers helping Scotland over injury list this Autumn
- 00:01 Rage and chaos as stumbling Mugabe still clings to power
- 00:01 Album review: Gill Landry
- 00:01 Album review: Beans on Toast
- 00:02 Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane demands more from misfiring star...
- 00:01 Men's Rugby Union: Gatland relishing this weekend's reunion with...
- 00:01 Men's Rugby League: Hall happy to play the supporting role in the...
- 00:01 Coleman, the manager Sunderland want but don’t need