Harvest estimates for 2016 sow seeds of doubt
Confirmation that harvest 2016 will not go down as a vintage year came yesterday with the first estimates showing an 11 per cent drop in production, to 4 per cent lower than the ten-year average.
While there has been no single catastrophic weather condition responsible for the fall, there have been a series of less than ideal factors.
The provisional figures produced by Scotland’s chief statistician show Scottish farms are estimated to have produced 2.8 million tonnes of cereals this year – 1.6 million tonnes of barley, one million tonnes of wheat and the balance in oats.
The figures show... read more
- 00:01 How was your weekend running?
- 00:01 Tina Muir's guide to battling running demons
- 00:01 My workout: Wings Chan, 24 – ‘For skateboarders, towns become...
- 00:01 How to combine work and motherhood: do them one at a time
- 00:01 How to dump someone on Valentine's Day – or any day – without being...
- 00:01 'Up-to-date, but it doesn't scream fashion' – the verdict on...
- 00:01 How can beekeepers know if their bees have been at the acacia?
- 00:01 I have left the family home. Divorce proceedings are under way
- 00:01 My wife has had an affair and I am struggling to get past the hurt
- 00:01 Tim Dowling: ‘Cutlery shouldn’t be made from more than one thing’
- 00:01 It’s not politics of envy to be disgusted by the super-rich
- 00:01 Katy Perry brings the house down as her political wokening...
- 00:01 Zen and the art of family maintenance – lessons from the...
- 00:01 Los Angeles city guide: what to see, plus the best bars, hotels and...
- 00:01 Tim Dowling: ‘The dog is lying in a pool of its own vomit, like a...
- 00:01 Inside Teen Vogue: 'Our readers consider themselves activists'
- 00:01 If I looked like Scarlett Johansson I’d probably understand her...
- 00:01 From ‘hands that do dishes’ to a bathtime Flake: the changing face...
- 00:01 The day I saw John and Yoko’s 'bed-in' peace demonstration
- 00:01 Why Testosterone Rex is extinct
- 01:31 Blood tests spot ovarian cancer early
- 00:01 Condor moments: trekking in Patagonia
- 00:01 Why we must teach morality to robots
- 00:01 Breakfast of champions: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley’s paleo muffins
- 00:01 Plant of the week: perennial wallflower
- 00:01 Mrs Cameron’s Diary: Tbh leaving Downing Street is quite #sadface
- 00:01 Pastures new: Dan Pearson’s journey from city to farm
- 00:01 Angela Griffin: ‘I am not bothered about looking as if I’ve just...
- 00:01 Is it worth hiking? Exercise review
- 00:01 Why I love… DJ and singer-songwriter Syd