Hard Brexit to cost UK up to £66bn a year, says Treasury
Leaked G overnment papers suggest leaving the single market and switching to World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules would cause GDP to fall by up to 9.5% compared with if the country remained in the European Union.
The d raft Cabinet committee paper seen by The Times is based on forecasts from the controversial study into the predicted impact of quitting the EU published by George Osborne in April during the referendum campaign.
Although the then chancellor faced widespread criticism over the report, the Treasury stands by its calculations, according to The Times.
The documents says:... read more
- 13:34 Tragedy as man dies while travelling on bus in Hartlepool
- 13:34 Hartlepool pensioner knits up trauma teddies for the air ambulance
- 13:34 BBC sorry over gay conversion tweet
- 13:34 POLL: Should the smacking of children be banned?
- 13:33 Protesters lock-on at Preston New Road
- 13:32 PHOTO GALLERY: Borrowdale shows Cumbria at its autumnal best
- 13:32 Huddersfield vs Man Utd TV channel, kick-off time, date, odds and...
- 13:31 Barrow man banned from vets after abusive threats
- 13:31 Midfielder Knight makes move to FC Stratford
- 13:31 Spalding United former physio and long-time supporter Jack Pateman...
- 13:31 Shauna’s Christmas wish
- 13:31 Christopher Home helping to take the pressure off A&E
- 13:31 Underage sex man avoids jail
- 13:30 Court: Retired shepherd let dogs terrorise sheep
- 13:29 Can too much sugar cause NIGHTMARES? Bizarre myths believed by...
- 13:28 Aldi is now selling its own luxury Thai curry kits for £1.39
- 13:28 Fans accuse EastEnders of 'copying' Coronation Street
- 13:28 Premier League predictions: Super computer calls this weekend’s...
- 13:28 Tip charges set to start at county's recycling centres
- 13:27 Terrorist who tried to blow up plane with underwear bomb now suing...
- 13:27 Nottingham Forest boss Mark Warburton looking forward to 'tough...
- 13:27 Wigan child abuser’s jail term slashed by five years
- 13:27 Mum’s agony is over as her son 's ashes finally return
- 13:26 Nicola Sturgeon admits citizen’s income plan might not work
- 13:23 Which roads, bus and cycle routes have been awarded Government cash
- 13:23 Wetherby road reopens ahead of schedule
- 13:23 Shocking photos show scene of devastation after staff injured in...
- 13:23 Watch: Moment police arrest would-be suicide bomber who asked...
- 13:23 MP Jess Philips 'appalled' after Labour colleague filmed saying 'on...
- 13:23 Tories must seek new leader now, says donor Alexander Temerko