HAMISH MCRAE: Share prices may grab the headlines but bond yields are arguably more important
Long-term interest rates are on the up.
They are rising here in the UK for obvious reasons, with the yield on ten-year gilts at 1.2 per cent, the highest since the Brexit referendum. But they are also rising in the US and the eurozone.
It is always impossible to see great turning points in markets at the moment they happen – the Footsie reaching 6950 on 30 December 30, 1999, the Brent oil price below $28 on January 20 this year – but a few months on, those turning points come into focus.
And so it may be with long-term bond yields. It is plausible that we won't see ten-year gilts yielding... read more
- 12:21 More trains for Hartlepool’s Christmas shoppers
- 12:20 Doncaster prositute support plan nominated for award
- 12:20 President Obama ridiculed on Snapchat by daughter Sasha
- 12:19 Multi-agency effort to tackle underage drinking in Alnwick
- 12:19 Simulating wildfires through technology
- 12:18 Prisoner goes missing
- 12:18 Wheels come off as Boxing Day pram race gets the push
- 12:18 Lancashire MP in battle against money laundering
- 12:18 Hartlepool United's season and Craig Hignett's reign in numbers
- 12:18 Under the Radar: The Blet Project
- 12:18 Charity takes on new boss
- 12:18 Book review: Autumn, by Ali Smith
- 12:18 Two men fined for fly-tipping
- 12:17 Doncaster prositute support plan nominated for award
- 12:17 Court round-up: Grantham area defendants brought before magistrates
- 12:17 Six of the best pumpkin ideas and how to make them
- 12:16 City's Big Bang anniversary overshadowed by Brexit concerns
- 12:15 How the humble shed is helping Barnsley men to beat loneliness
- 12:15 Theatre director Howard Davies dies aged 71
- 12:15 Get dressed up this Halloween for knock down prices to Twycross Zoo
- 12:15 Former boss of Glasgow's defunct Arches appointed artistic director...
- 12:15 Scots pay gap falls between men and women
- 12:15 16 dogs with a Hallowe'en costume better than yours
- 12:14 Exhibition of photographer’s work featuring Jarrow march on show
- 12:14 Chloe’s specs appeal has won her a national award
- 12:14 Christleton High School invites you to A Night At The Musicals
- 12:14 Charity takes on new boss
- 12:14 Mercedes-Benz X-Class - the first premium pick-up
- 12:14 Rolls-Royce Dawn adds new trim options Inspired by Fashion
- 12:14 Eroded canyons, red sunsets and enormous dunes: Discover the magic...