Halting school meals in Mali could keep thousands of children out of class - U.N.
DAKAR (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Taking away school meals from 180,000 pupils going back to class in Mali, where insecurity has closed schools in the north, may deprive even more children of an education, the U.N. World Food Programme (WFP) said on Tuesday.
Halting a school meals programme due to a lack of funding will leave these children, in around 1,000 schools across Mali, without a guaranteed healthy meal each day, the WFP said.
The U.N. agency said without these meals, many children may not go to school in the West African country, which faces a growing threat from Islamist groups... read more
- 14:11 Egyptian Christians living in fear for the future
- 14:10 When does the paper £5 note go out of circulation? How long you...
- 14:10 Teenager faces jail for 'plotting to bomb Elton John concert in...
- 14:09 It's a pain to get to Spain after blunder
- 14:09 Wall Street set to open higher with earnings in focus
- 14:09 Jenny Powell admits she 'couldn't feel her LEGS' during throes of...
- 14:09 Mountainous challenge for eight fathers
- 14:09 Kremlin says report that Putin will meet Trump in May is 'wishful...
- 14:09 The Keepers: Who killed Sister Cathy? New Netflix documentary...
- 14:09 French riot police clash with youths protesting election
- 14:09 Hackers exploited Word flaw for months while Microsoft investigated
- 14:09 The Pingle School in Swadlincote is to get a share of £45,000...
- 14:08 You won’t believe what Gerard Pique said to this Barcelona player
- 14:08 Hector Bellerin reveals Arsenal's dressing room mood ahead of...
- 14:08 Roman Abramovich meets Antonio Conte at Stamford Bridge… this is why
- 14:06 The staggering number of drivers who believe running a red light is...
- 14:06 Body recovered from river in Leeds is believed to be missing man
- 14:06 This is why Boris Johnson used the word "mugwump" to describe...
- 14:06 Worskop girls sing up for ‘ginormous’ Girlguides choir
- 14:06 How to lower blood pressure: Cutting SALT from your diet could be...
- 14:05 Surprise! This Owl’s long legs could rival any supermodel
- 14:05 N’Golo Kante on shortlist with Antoine Griezmann for best overseas...
- 14:05 Search called off for man missing in River Lune
- 14:05 Airbus £4.6bn China deal helps secure position as global leader
- 14:04 These supercars drove to Nottingham with some very special passengers
- 14:04 Man United prepared to meet mega release clause: This summer...
- 14:04 CCTV APPEAL: Theft from St Annes shop
- 14:03 M&S food store plans
- 14:03 Blaze at cancer research unit
- 14:03 Dedicated scout Ossie earns highest honour