Halting school meals in Mali could keep thousands of children out of class - U.N.
DAKAR (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Taking away school meals from 180,000 pupils going back to class in Mali, where insecurity has closed schools in the north, may deprive even more children of an education, the U.N. World Food Programme (WFP) said on Tuesday.
Halting a school meals programme due to a lack of funding will leave these children, in around 1,000 schools across Mali, without a guaranteed healthy meal each day, the WFP said.
The U.N. agency said without these meals, many children may not go to school in the West African country, which faces a growing threat from Islamist groups... read more
- 04:54 Never get caught out again: Experts reveal how to ALWAYS avoid a...
- 04:53 Man Utd’s handling of Wayne Rooney’s future has surprised me - Gary...
- 04:52 Man Utd hero Ji-Sung Park singles Marcus Rashford out for praise
- 04:33 UFC News: McGregor criticised by Roach, Diaz talks, Anderson on UFC...
- 04:30 Chinese president makes first ever visit to Hong Kong
- 04:28 Brazilian army opens fire on ‘invader’ after car rams gates of...
- 04:28 Trump ‘will build the wall’ as designs submitted for the disputed...
- 04:22 Nikkei hovers near 2-year highs as tech shares support
- 04:20 Japan May retail sales rise less than expected, growth trend seen...
- 04:18 Golden reunion for this year’s Cropredy Festival
- 04:04 Global coordination important as world economy changes - China vice...
- 03:51 Reliving sitcom classic
- 03:42 Scots economy in 'precarious' position, experts warn
- 03:42 Stalking victim rejects police apology over stabbing
- 03:38 Venezuela crisis: Attorney general banned from leaving country
- 03:35 Radio 1: Why is the station struggling to find new DJs?
- 03:32 UCI Road World Championships 2019: Yorkshire host towns revealed
- 03:32 'My son was circumcised without my consent'
- 03:32 Theresa May to seek backing of MPs for Queen's Speech
- 03:27 U.S. sets criteria for visa applicants from six Muslim countries - AP
- 03:17 France's Engie says to weather LNG oversupply with long-term deals
- 03:16 Trump holds $10m fundraiser at his hotel
- 03:05 Cantonese v Mandarin: When Hong Kong languages get political
- 03:04 Celebration and protest as China president visits Hong Kong
- 03:04 Ransomware cyber-attacks by ‘Russian hackers’ could spark WORLD WAR...
- 02:56 German police officers dismissed for ‘fighting, urinating and...
- 02:51 Alastair Cook and Nick Browne share record first-wicket partnership...
- 02:51 Linfield 1-0 La Fiorita: Jordan Stewart edges Northern Irish...
- 02:51 Former Hibernian boss Alan Stubbs among the candidates for the...
- 02:51 Birmingham appoint Kevin Bond as assistant manager to Harry Redknapp