Halting school meals in Mali could keep thousands of children out of class - U.N.
DAKAR (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Taking away school meals from 180,000 pupils going back to class in Mali, where insecurity has closed schools in the north, may deprive even more children of an education, the U.N. World Food Programme (WFP) said on Tuesday.
Halting a school meals programme due to a lack of funding will leave these children, in around 1,000 schools across Mali, without a guaranteed healthy meal each day, the WFP said.
The U.N. agency said without these meals, many children may not go to school in the West African country, which faces a growing threat from Islamist groups... read more
- 08:53 Over a hundred schools in Scotland don’t have smoke detectors
- 08:52 Stolen car crashed in Sheffield after 'racing' around city suburb
- 08:52 Awards for police team tackling hare coursing in South Holland
- 08:51 Alexandra Palace’s ‘hidden’ theatre to reopen after £18.8m restoration
- 08:51 Red wine is the worst alcohol for your skin
- 08:51 There's now a graphic sex education book for five-year-olds - and...
- 08:51 Brit doctor 'on the run over £400,000 of missing NHS cash shoots...
- 08:51 Horrific moment crew member shot dead by officers filming reality...
- 08:51 Mum's joy as brain dead son makes miracle recovery despite advice...
- 08:51 Meet the Leeds super-slimmer who lost six stone after ditching...
- 08:51 Man Utd keen to sign Ryan Sessegnon, Jose Mourinho has scouted...
- 08:50 Bolton and Wicks lead Stratford AC’s herculean marathon efforts
- 08:50 Scarborough pals' backpacking video goes viral
- 08:50 Chelsea transfer news: £65m for Koulibaly amid Alonso exit fears
- 08:50 Dog rescued from canal in Radford Semele
- 08:49 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:48 West Cumbria roads blocked due to crash
- 08:47 Recommending e-cigarettes to help smokers quit is irresponsible...
- 08:47 Things to do in Birmingham on May Bank Holiday weekend
- 08:47 Donald Trump thanks Kanye West after rapper expresses 'love' for...
- 08:47 West Brom transfer rumour: Italian interest in Nacer Chadli
- 08:46 TSB drafts in outside help to fix IT chaos
- 08:44 Police set to target illegal parking at Derbyshire beauty spot as...
- 08:44 Diego Simeone names the Arsenal star he fears most ahead of Europa...
- 08:43 Prince Alexander now favourite in William and Kate’s baby name odds
- 08:43 Labour drops candidate who doubts Manchester and Jo Cox tragedies...
- 08:43 WATCH: Deontay Wilder offers Anthony Joshua £35m for unification...
- 08:43 Real Madrid star makes BIZARRE claim about Barcelona fans favourite
- 08:42 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:42 ALERT: Anti-freeze being used to poison pets in this Sheffield suburb