'Half of grammar schools do not set aside places for poorer pupils'
Poor pupils are not allocated priority places at more than half of England's grammar schools, research suggests.
Analysis by the BBC shows that 90 of the 163 grammar schools' admissions policies do not consider a child's eligibility for free school meals.
Government plans to increase the number of grammar schools has seen them come under increasing pressure to become more socially inclusive.
According to the broadcaster, the most recently published admission policies for applications for 2017-18 reveal the extent to which change is under way.
Pupils are required to pass entry exams to gain... read more
- 15:59 UPDATE: Missing nine-year-old found
- 15:59 Road closures ahead for Lancaster motorway junction
- 15:59 Corby paedophile who sexually assaulted young girl jailed for four...
- 15:58 Halifax sex offender ensnared by ‘paedophile hunters’
- 15:58 Tributes planned for Anthony Foley ahead of Munster's cup tie with...
- 15:58 Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers: Kolo Toure WILL be ready to face...
- 15:58 Cecilia Ekback wins historical fiction award for first novel Wolf...
- 15:56 Liverpool star sends message to Jurgen Klopp ahead of West Brom clash
- 15:56 UPDATE: Missing nine-year-old found
- 15:55 Pogba Manchester United dream revealed by Chelsea boss Conte
- 15:55 U.S., UK growth data to give steer on monetary policy
- 15:55 Halifax sex offender ensnared by ‘paedophile hunters’
- 15:55 Gypsy folk-rock band with big reputation set for Marchington show
- 15:53 EU 'not capable' of signing Canada deal
- 15:53 How one woman overcame a debilitating stammer to follow her dream...
- 15:53 Court list: Who has been up before Scarborough magistrates?
- 15:52 Child seat product recalled over safety fears
- 15:52 Spooky goings-on on Pumpkin Path in Leamington town centre
- 15:52 Rafa Benitez: This is what being at the top of the Championship...
- 15:52 County Hall move ‘set for full council debate’
- 15:52 Devastation for family after tragic cat deaths
- 15:52 Snapped: Key man trains with Arsenal despite injury fears ahead of...
- 15:50 Battle of Britain Memorial centre faces funding change
- 15:50 Countdown to Horncastle Christmas Tree Festival
- 15:50 Readers’ letters
- 15:49 Missing Notts girl, 14, may be in Derbyshire
- 15:49 Air Ambulance scrambled to Alfreton ladder fall
- 15:49 Diana's stepmother Raine Spencer dies aged 87
- 15:48 Man was so high on drugs he could hardly remember his destructive...
- 15:47 Parks across Harrogate district up for national award