'Half of grammar schools do not set aside places for poorer pupils'
Poor pupils are not allocated priority places at more than half of England's grammar schools, research suggests.
Analysis by the BBC shows that 90 of the 163 grammar schools' admissions policies do not consider a child's eligibility for free school meals.
Government plans to increase the number of grammar schools has seen them come under increasing pressure to become more socially inclusive.
According to the broadcaster, the most recently published admission policies for applications for 2017-18 reveal the extent to which change is under way.
Pupils are required to pass entry exams to gain... read more
- 21:07 FOR THE WEEK, THE DOW ROSE 3.1 PCT, THE S&P GAINED 3.1 PCT AND THE...
- 21:06 It's official - Derbyshire is one of the luckiest places to buy a...
- 21:04 Drug dealer jailed after posting selfies with massive wads of cash
- 21:02 Louth man’s child abduction and sex abuse trial date set for April
- 21:00 Ajax manager: Why this player is really at Chelsea
- 20:58 Dean Smith: why crowd could be key for Burton Albion at Brentford
- 20:57 Ghana's president Mahama concedes election defeat
- 20:56 Is Bakewell Winter Wonderland under fire again?
- 20:54 Obama orders review into 'Russian hacking' before US election
- 20:54 Philippines president tells people to deal with his mass killings...
- 20:52 Oil traders prepare flotilla to ship U.S. exports to Asia
- 20:46 A mistake to knock down any of Derby Royal Infirmary 'onion' domes,...
- 20:45 Ghana president admits defeat in poll
- 20:45 Lebanese government must be formed as soon as possible - Hezbollah
- 20:45 Ghana president Mahama concedes election - aide to opposition leader
- 20:43 Donald Trump phone call to Nicola Sturgeon
- 20:41 First look inside new Scunthorpe town centre restaurant
- 20:41 Two vehicle crash on busy Scunthorpe road
- 20:38 Murderer jailed for 1986 rape thanks to DNA testing advances
- 20:37 Egypt security forces hit by two bombings in a single day
- 20:34 Theresa May is urged to halt Rupert Murdoch's $22bn deal to...
- 20:32 Jamie Carragher picks Chelsea legend in ultimate five-a-side of...
- 20:31 Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez discusses his love for dogs Atom...
- 20:29 Prime Minister backs Lincolnshire Farmers over Brexit
- 20:29 Donald Trump discusses links with Scotland in phone call to Nicola...
- 20:27 Calais child migrants: More than 750 brought to UK
- 20:22 Southampton manager Claude Puel challenges squad to cope without...
- 20:22 China to test new anti-satellite missile capable of destroying...
- 20:22 What would YOU do to stop ageing? Americans would give up true...
- 20:22 Monkeys could talk like humans, they just lack the brain power:...