Haiti: Increasing despair in wake of hurricane
Power still off, food scarce, fear of cholera rise
HELICOPTERS ferried in food and medicine to devastated south-western Haiti yesterday, but aid workers had difficulty reaching increasingly desperate communities still isolated almost a week after Hurricane Matthew.
Power was still off, water and food were scarce and officials said that young men in villages along the road between the hard-hit cities of Les Cayes and Jeremie were putting up blockades of rocks and broken branches to halt convoys of vehicles bringing relief supplies.
One convoy carrying food, water and medications was attacked... read more
- 09:50 Man Utd stars and former captain Wayne Rooney arrive at hotel ahead...
- 09:49 'Doctors call it bull**** disease - but I can't get out of bed'
- 09:49 Two men stabbed in Harrogate - police linking attacks
- 09:48 Two lanes closed on M1
- 09:48 Lorry crash closes lanes on M1
- 09:46 England goalkeeper Joe Hart robbed of phone and wallet by moped gang
- 09:46 Yates pub chain agency ‘used good-looking only policy when hiring...
- 09:45 Birmingham Airport charges third highest parking fee for collecting...
- 09:45 This is exactly how Storm Brian will affect Birmingham after yellow...
- 09:44 Former soldier Colin fights a new battle for the charity that saved...
- 09:44 Two men stabbed in Harrogate - police linking attacks
- 09:40 Down Memory Lane - 1990 in pictures
- 09:40 Pet lovers celebrate as Melton is named the UK’s most dog-friendly...
- 09:39 'Anyone would think Wolves had won the Premier League' - Steve...
- 09:38 Case brought by Lloyds shareholders is ‘fundamentally flawed’
- 09:38 Stranger Things star Finn Wolfhard fires agent after former client...
- 09:38 Sowerby Bridge's Dama Cheese shines light on UK start-ups
- 09:38 Aldi to release chocolate wine for Christmas
- 09:38 Joel Campbell keen to leave Arsenal by making Real Betis...
- 09:37 Aldi to release chocolate wine for Christmas
- 09:37 BREAKING NEWS: Derbyshire road closed by 'police incident'
- 09:35 Arsenal news: Mesut Ozil hates Manchester United links - he wants...
- 09:35 Warwickshire Police Detective Sergeant receives Queen’s Police Medal
- 09:33 Call to check oil tanks ahead of winter
- 09:33 Prestigious regional award for sewer project in town
- 09:33 Kirkby pensioner 'killed by blunt force trauma to the head'
- 09:32 Thugs, thieves, drunks and drugs - who's been convicted in Derby's...
- 09:32 BREAKING NEWS: Derbyshire road closed by 'police incident'
- 09:32 Charity festive card shop to be officially opened today
- 09:32 Rolling out the red carpet for children at film festival