Haemophilia A trial results 'mind-blowing'
British doctors say they have achieved "mind-blowing" results in an attempt to rid people of haemophilia A.
Patients are born with a genetic defect that means they do not produce a protein needed to stop bleeding.
Thirteen patients given the gene therapy at Barts Health NHS Trust are now off treatment with 11 producing near-normal levels of the protein.
Jake Omer, 29 from Billericay, Essex, was on the trial and says he feels like he has a new body.
Like 2,000 other people in the UK, his body could not make clotting factor VIII.
A minor injury used to cause severe bleeding. He... read more
- 12:12 Groups given more time in battle to save Northamptonshire libraries
- 12:11 Wakefield games firm raises £217m in stock market floatation
- 12:11 Sports centre demolished - and it will be a two year wait for a new...
- 12:11 Role models inspire pupils at north Cumbrian schools
- 12:11 Stewart Donald confirms he has agreed a deal with new Sunderland...
- 12:11 Cumbrian mum's tribute to missing daughter
- 12:11 Trippet Lane student flats development given green light
- 12:11 Desperate to escape the rain and cold? Then why not give it a Goa!
- 12:11 Heartbreak and heroes on the road to freedom: A trip to Alabama to...
- 12:11 Killer whales, humpbacks and sand lizards: The surprisingly exotic...
- 12:10 'The mindset is that boys are not raped': India ends silence on...
- 12:10 Prestwich semi to become Jewish study centre after new plans waved...
- 12:10 Double joy for PNE youngster Adam O'Reilly
- 12:10 UK calls for special EU deal on data-sharing laws after Brexit
- 12:10 Barrow man to appear in court over alleged curfew breaches
- 12:10 'It's always in the back of my mind': Northamptonshire teenager...
- 12:10 Wigan's M&S shop is safe ... for now
- 12:10 All the fun of the fair on offer at village auction
- 12:09 £58m Hartlepool housing development could create 180 jobs
- 12:09 Felicity Cloake’s barbecue masterclass: jerk chicken – recipe
- 12:09 How to enjoy eating outdoors: a guide to avoiding wasps, sand and...
- 12:09 Alleged Nelson Isis supporter encouraged attacks on Prince George
- 12:09 Open day to see what Building Abilities does
- 12:08 Car 'lost' after hospital visit found in Cheltenham car park
- 12:08 Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard reveals Mo Salah doubts ahead of...
- 12:07 Jacob Rees-Mogg: Ruth Davidson should not be allowed to marry
- 12:07 Boris Johnson wants taxpayer-funded 'Brexit jet'
- 12:07 SNEAK PEEK: What’s inside this week’s ‘Tiser?
- 12:07 Arsenal fans livid as club snub Arsene Wenger from Unai Emery...
- 12:06 Mablethorpe man charged following alleged robbery at Mablethorpe...