Gym warning: Working out too hard can cause this life-threatening condition
A recent report published in The American Journal of Medicine revealed a woman ended up in hospital for two weeks after a spin class caused rhabdomyolysis.
It listed at least 46 other cases of the condition that were caused by spinning - the popular workout on a stationary bike.
However, it can be triggered by any exercise, and experts say they have seen an increase among those who do high-intensity workouts.
The condition is where skeletal muscle dies and releases substances into the blood that can cause kidney failure.
It occurs as a result of traumatic skeletal muscle injury.
However,... read more
- 07:02 The latest on the fitness of Hartlepool United’s Michael Woods
- 07:02 Man Utd transfer plans hit snag: Alexis Sanchez wages cause issue...
- 07:02 Masters 2018: Tiger Woods will have to watch out for one player in...
- 07:02 Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo: Real Madrid ace Marco Asensio...
- 07:02 Max Verstappen: The one aspect of F1 that Red Bull ace deems...
- 07:00 Helen Skelton 'could hardly move' after Sport Relief boxing training
- 06:59 Woman eating candy floss for competition is the best thing you’ll...
- 06:57 Real Madrid will not sign Liverpool ace Mohamed Salah this summer...
- 06:57 Police and Crime Commissioner wants stricter laws to protect...
- 06:56 1,000 empty Preston homes to be brought back into use
- 06:56 Police and Crime Commissioner wants stricter laws to protect...
- 06:56 Plea to drivers over school crossing fears
- 06:56 Preston boss Alex Neil confident Sean Maguire will get even better
- 06:56 Barcelona news: Antoine Griezmann makes SHOCK transfer confession
- 06:56 Man Utd transfer news: Blaise Matuidi move depends on one major...
- 06:53 Sixth explosion in Austin, Texas, is not linked to serial bomber,...
- 06:52 Marcos Alonso reveals Chelsea team-mate Alvaro Morata's outrage at...
- 06:50 Girl, 11, gives birth after being ‘repeatedly raped by six men...
- 06:48 Railway launches club for youngsters
- 06:48 Amble restaurant is shortlisted for award
- 06:48 Good Food Guide promotes town’s eating premises
- 06:48 Helen Skelton 'could hardly move' after Sport Relief boxing training
- 06:47 South Shields dance classes for older people is reducing falls
- 06:47 Hebburn sea cadet chosen for Royal role
- 06:47 Anti-social behaviour scheme kicks off in South Tyneside
- 06:47 Heartbroken family’s memorial bench tribute to tragedy man
- 06:47 Jarrow couple with youngster diagnosed with cystic fibrosis are...
- 06:47 MP to continue campaign for drug to be available on NHS
- 06:47 Harlow's Princess Alexandra Hospital out of special measures
- 06:45 British architecture projects under threat from Brexit – survey