Gwynedd-born Lawrence of Arabia's artefacts saved for the nation
Gwynedd-born Lawrence of Arabia’s dagger, robes and kaffiyah have been saved for the nation after grant funding totalling £1113,400 was secured for the items.
The UK risked losing the iconic relics unless a buyer was found to save them.
Earlier this year, culture Minister Ed Vaizey placed an export bar in a bid to keep the dagger in the UK.
And the national treasure has now been secured by the National Army Museum with a £78,400 grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund (NHMF).
Both the robes and kaffiyah have also been acquired by the museum following a further NHMF grant of £35,000.... read more
- 10:54 Leona Lewis turns heads in a white cutaway gown with daring...
- 10:54 'Has she always looked like this?!' Fans are left shocked after...
- 10:54 Maya Jama reveals she was bullied for her Somali heritage in...
- 10:54 Hailey Baldwin stuns in patent leather dress as she leads the stars...
- 10:53 Shakespeare’s Birthplace to go on show in Lego
- 10:52 Sunderland motorist was more than four times the drink-drive limit
- 10:52 Former Victorian bakery in Leeds City Centre gets much-kneaded revamp
- 10:52 Burnley church throws open its doors for coffee morning
- 10:51 Kind-hearted Derbyshire man raises funds for children’s hospital...
- 10:51 VIDEO: Derbyshire adventurers complete 400-mile trek across one of...
- 10:50 UK’s newest political party hold talk at the University of Buckingham
- 10:50 Former Victorian bakery in Leeds City Centre gets much-kneaded revamp
- 10:49 Former Victorian bakery in Leeds City Centre gets much-kneaded revamp
- 10:49 Images released as investigation into Buxton armed robbery continues
- 10:48 Future-proofing the NHS: how the UK's largest workforce is gearing up
- 10:48 HEATWAVE: Sheffield set to bask in RECORD BREAKING Bank Holiday heat
- 10:48 Residents celebrate the Royal Wedding with street party in Lichfield
- 10:48 Liverpool fans go WILD on way to Kiev for Champions League final:...
- 10:48 Sci-fi version of Shakespeare’s The Tempest coming to the Lichfield...
- 10:48 Review: Remi Harris at the George Hotel in Lichfield
- 10:47 Young people celebrate fire course success
- 10:47 Fun in the fresh air at Edale Country Day
- 10:47 Lincolnshire rabbit owners urged to vaccinate pets after fatal...
- 10:47 Former Victorian bakery in Leeds City Centre gets much-kneaded revamp
- 10:46 Lincolnshire rabbit owners urged to vaccinate pets after fatal...
- 10:45 Images released as investigation into Buxton armed robbery continues
- 10:44 'The leg remover' Double bladed machete with terrifying name carved...
- 10:44 Fancy volunteering for canal festival?
- 10:44 Inside the small Airbnb home where Thomas Markle watched the...
- 10:44 Kenilworth bookshop enjoys 50th birthday celebrations